Has anyone installed fan assisted makeup air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a customer who is having issues with a high-efficiency fireplace. If the louver for the bottom of the fireplace is installed, it restricts the flow enough to cause the fireplace to choke. Without this restriction to flow, the draft is adequate to pull in enough make-up air. I know there are systems controlled by pressure switches to add makeup air. I think he needs one for his house. (New construction, 1,455.7 CFM50. ACH50: 2.35)
I have asked the manufacturer for their input and permission to install a make-up air system directly to the make-up air supply for the fireplace. I'd like to know if anyone has ever done this.

The same fireplace, which is less than two years old, is burning through the firebrick splits. Do you have any ideas on why a fireplace that has make-up air issues would be overheating bricks?

Thanks, This one is kicking my mental backside.

I think that forced air supply may risk turning the fireplace into a forge at some point. One can not tell what fuel the homeowner will try, the dryness of the wood, etc. And draft varies with the outside temp. It is much safer to have a properly installed HRV system installed for the house.

Reactions: Nevins MHP