has anyone tried this type of ash rake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My fireplace drafts well.enough that any airborne ash gets putted into the stove and not intok the room.

Your little comment just made it click for me . Never dawned on me i should probably be opening my bypass damper when im cleaning out my stove as i get a lot of ash that floats out into the house that i bet would otherwise go up the chimney if i opened that. Course then id have to remember to close it again an me remembering anything these days is a 50-50 shot.

I use a kids garden rake too. Just make sure the head is made of metal with a real wooden handle. Plastic won’t work so good ;)

I, too, have a Shelburne. My wife found a child's garden rake like yours at a thrift store. I've been using it for seven years and it works like a charm (mine has a wooden handle, which I cut to a shorter length for manageability).

Your little comment just made it click for me . Never dawned on me i should probably be opening my bypass damper when im cleaning out my stove as i get a lot of ash that floats out into the house that i bet would otherwise go up the chimney if i opened that. Course then id have to remember to close it again an me remembering anything these days is a 50-50 shot.

Yeah. Anything you can do to increase the draft before you mess with the ash inside of the stove or fireplace will save a mess in your house. This fly ash does go somewhere though. In my freestanding stove, it collected in the lateral to the thimble (happened when burning coal as well). This reduced draft a noticeable amount. In my FP25 that has a straight shot out of the top, I would imagine that it either makes its way the entire way up or collects on top of the baffle. I've only been burning about 3 weeks in this unit, so I haven't cleaned it out yet to be able to tell.

I have found the combination that works, and works well. (for me anyway)

First of all, obtained welding gloves from Harbor Freight, (their cheap)
Then installed a pair of those cheap brown cloth gloves (as a liner) you know the kind; (eg. 12 pair for $5)
At the paint department get a paint grid screen that fits a 5 gallon bucket used with rollers.
Bend both sides up at least an inch like your ash shovels looks.
e992d86a14bde6a7043202bd4a5299ce.jpg

The screen works fast, has a flat bottom for sliding on the floor of your stove.
Once loaded, tilt and shake towards the front to dump coals.
Ta-da! ...an extreeeeemly cheap, fast, and effective method of removing ash from coals.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I have found the combination that works, and works well. (for me anyway)

First of all, obtained welding gloves from Harbor Freight, (their cheap)
Then installed a pair of those cheap brown cloth gloves (as a liner) you know the kind; (eg. 12 pair for $5)
At the paint department get a paint grid screen that fits a 5 gallon bucket used with rollers.
Bend both sides up at least an inch like your ash shovels looks.
View attachment 218198
The screen works fast, has a flat bottom for sliding on the floor of your stove.
Once loaded, tilt and shake towards the front to dump coals.
Ta-da! ...an extreeeeemly cheap, fast, and effective method of removing ash from coals.
Just bought this for under $4. Don't quite understand how you are doing it. You have a picture with your modification?

After getting the hand of it, does it job and I like it.