has anyone used a Dr. Powerwagon for moving splits around?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twd000

Feeling the Heat
Aug 28, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
There is a guy locally selling a DR Powerwagon -asking $600. I believe this is the 8.25 ft-lb model, which lists 800 lb max load.

My current method is to haul 4 cords of wood from my side yard onto my screen porch each fall. I use use my crummy Murray riding mower with turf tires pulling a 10 cubic foot steel garden cart. It works OK on flat spots, but gets stuck frequently on any slope or wet ground. I also have to manually unload each stick to transfer to log carrier and carry it up the 4 wooden step to my porch.

Getting to my stacks after the snow flies is not really practical.

I was thinking that the Powerwagon would let me load in the yard and drive directly up a set of ramps onto the porch without transferring. Dimensions indicate the wagon would fit through the screen door with 2" to spare on each side. If a cord of dry splits weight 3,000 pounds, I figure it will require 3,000*4/800 = 15 trips.

Has anyone found a Powerwagon or Superhauler makes this fall chore easier, or not worth it?

Reactions: fespo
Looks like an upgrade for you. With used equipment its all in the condition. Try it out. Must be pretty new for approx 50% of list.

I have one, it’s ok. Better then my lawn tractor with cart. It’s not the easiest thing to move around but it gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one, it’s ok. Better then my lawn tractor with cart. It’s not the easiest thing to move around but it gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the drawbacks that you don't like about it? It looks like the single wheel rear caster would allow it to spin around , whether you want it to or not.

What is your terrain like? Mine has no steep grades but lots of lumpy bumpy dips with hidden boulders

What are the drawbacks that you don't like about it? It looks like the single wheel rear caster would allow it to spin around , whether you want it to or not.

What is your terrain like? Mine has no steep grades but lots of lumpy bumpy dips with hidden boulders
My back yard is smooth grass with 2 small upward slopes. I use it mainly to bring wood down the hill, it does a great job doing that. It takes a little getting use to. The only problem I have it climbing the hill in winter with more then a couple inches of snow. I have to clean the snow or is will not climb,I bought aftermarket chains for winter but they will not fit, my fault for not buying from DR.I hope this helps.

Reactions: twd000