Hatchet Recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a couple of good axes, a splitting maul, and some wedges. I'm short a hatchet, however. While I've got a machete that's more-or-less filling the bill for now, I'd like to get something more substantial for kindling.

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm willing to pay for quality--up to a point.

I've got a couple of good axes, a splitting maul, and some wedges. I'm short a hatchet, however. While I've got a machete that's more-or-less filling the bill for now, I'd like to get something more substantial for kindling.

I've got a Fiskars X11 which is bigger than a hatchet that I use for kindling and a Gransfors Bruks small splitting ax. They both work very well. The Bruks is heavier and can be used to split small logs as well, two handed if needed. Fiskars makes an X7 which may be more what you are looking for. I'm a big fan of Fiskars' axes. Work well and don't come any where near breaking the bank. The Bruks is a work of art IMO.

Most of my kindling is "splitter trash" from my hydraulic log splitter, but I do use a Fiskars X7 from time to time.

After watching some old school log cabin builders, I do want to pick up a froe for kindling. It provides much more control than an axe.

Last edited:

i got the Fiskars hatchette and its okay for kindling, like maple1 said choking up on my x27 does the trick, its a good workout too. Anyway, I found the Fiskars hatchette more useful for lopping off small/medium tree limbs, even cedar.

Hello, I got the Fiskars 7850 X7 14-Inch Hatchet a couples years ago. Could not be happier with it. Holds a good edge and the edge it came with you could shave with. I guess my only complaint would be the sheath as there in no way to hook it on your belt. It is good to protect the Hatchet and to hang it but not to carry. I would still buy another one if needed.
Don

A machete for kindling sounds.... We'll dangerous!!! A small hatchet with a heavy head works good for me.
The Fiskars is good I have a Estwing that works fine.

X27 and a tire full of pine and sass splits. Choke up and bunt.

I have a lot of heart pine stumps was hard to split with regular hatchet or ax. Bought a granfors small splitting ax. It works perfect. Very sharp as my thumb can attest to. Easy to use with one hand.

Reactions: n6crv
Bought a X7 at Walmart on sale for $20, I really like it.

I like the X7 but I could not live without my Estwing Fireside friend. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Estwing product. Especially when sawing I use the heck out of the X7. I hate restarting the saw everytime I miss a small branch.

Pick up a true axe head at a yard sale or flea market etc... Mount it up on a short handle and put a nice edge on it with a big bastard file. Cheap and weighty enough to be super effective on turning splits into smaller splits and kindling. I have an oak stump and one of the said axe hybrids in the basement for just such activities.

Treepointer - find yourself a good blacksmith there in PA and have them hammer you out a fro. I have made a few from leaf springs and they are definitely a useful tool in the right application.

Last edited:
Reactions: TreePointer
Treepointer - find yourself a goo blacksmith there in PA and have them hammer you outa fro. I have made a few from leaf springs and they are definitely a useful tool in the right application.

Thanks for the tip. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.