Haughs s131 1988 woodstove, need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AxeSplitter9000

Oct 19, 2022
Kansas
Hello all, I am trying to get some question answered about this stove. It is a 1988 Haughs s131e.

The stove is a secondary burn woodstove. It has a breather adjustment on the front, and a square secondary breather hole in the bottom corner behind the built in heat shield on the rear of the stove. Generally, I keep the stove temps around 400-450 degree at the stove top, around 330 degree just below the dampener when closed, and 200-220 degree 2 inches down from the ceiling cathedral box all singlewall pipe with front breather closed and dampener. Although, the front air only lets you close it halfway (a metal tab welded in place stops you from closing it further). Well one night I put more than one log on, I put 2-3 on a hot bed of coals, and the stove roared up to 600-650 degree stovetop temp, 400 degree just under dampener, and maybe 250-300 degree 2 inches below cathedral box on stove pipe with dampener shut and breather as far as it would let me shut it. I believe secondary burn kicked in at that point. These are all outside temps taken not internal temps.

My questions;
1. How hot is too hot for this stove at the stovetop, below dampener etc...? (Outside temps; not internal)

2. Should I shave my breather tab down so I can close it down to about 1/4th open or more even? That way I can turn it down make before I go to bed so the stove is not roaring.

3. How hot should secondary burn stoves get?

4. Does anyone have experience with this stove or a manual?

The stove seemed fine at those temps... Didn't see anything glowing on the outside, just wondering if I should be concerned with those temps or not.

Chimney is duravent triple wall stainless.

Any advice/help much appreciated.

IMG_20221018_200409.jpg