Have a digital manometer which scale and how to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
Have a digital manometer has functions of InH2O, psi, Mbar, kPa, inHg, mmHg ?? Which one to use to test draft on my chimney ? What would the proper test procedure? When stove and pipe are cold/ hot? Bypass with cat engaged or not? Stove top Temp? How far to stick probe into pipe and keep it level or tilt it upward toward top of chimney ? What should I expect with a interior insulated 8 x 35 foot SS ??

You want to measure in H20. You drill a small hole around 1/4 or whatever your size of probe for insertion behind the stove on the flue. You can measure it anytime during a burn. We run a baro so I set it at a high firing rate. You just insert straight in to get a reading. Just make sure to set it to 0 before checking. I would guess with a full tilt fire you would exceed .1" easily. My furnace requires .06" for a max setting for maximun efficiency. Its nice to see where your draft is at. I would guarantee your well over the normal draft.

so i set in to the "InH20" setting ?

I don't use a digital, but yes you measure the draft in H20.

Correct me if anything is wrong...my area of expertise id HVAC, not wood burning.

kwikrp said:
Have a digital manometer has functions of InH2O, psi, Mbar, kPa, inHg, mmHg ?? The pressure measurement is in inches of water column, so set your meter to InH2O.
What would the proper test procedure? When stove and pipe are cold/ hot? I would suggest you perform the test with the stove at its normal operating temperature.
Bypass with cat engaged or not? I would suggest testing it in the worst case scenario, which would be with the cat engaged.
Stove top Temp? Whatever your normal operating temperature is.
How far to stick probe into pipe and keep it level or tilt it upward toward top of chimney? I'm not sure what kind of probe you have. If it is simply a hollow tube, inserting it only a 1/4" is sufficient. Keeping it level
What should I expect with a interior insulated 8 x 35 foot SS ?? I'm not sure what is considered normal in a wood stove, but you should see a negative reading on the digital meter if your hoses are hooked up correctly...the hose that you have your probe hooked to should have the other had attached to the positive (+) port on the meter. This way you should see a negative sign in front of your reading. Unless you have something different from what I'm picturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.