Have to either prove or debunk this theory..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman87

Sep 21, 2014
New Hampshire
I've got an old home, built in either the 1840's or 1860's (who cares right?)

Anyways,

Bought a pellet stove, excited for this winter season, fall has already showed its face, had a night where it dipped down into the 20s. Stove preformed beautifully, but it's yet to prove itself, hard to base it on one night but I have faith!

I had a gentleman tell me to take a box fan, turn it around so that it's blowing the cold air into the warm air the stove is creating and it will warm your house MORE than pointing the box the opposite direction and blowing the warm air into the cold, so I did and I must say - it works!

Is it just me? What's the theory?

Try it!

I'll take any little advice when it comes to heating my house because it truly is a seasonal battle.

I'm destined to win at some point.

No need to debunk anything. It's been well established for quite some time.

Same theory as a forced air heating system. For a heating dominated climate returns in a forced air system should be near the floor. Your basically moving return air from the floor to the stove to be warmed and circulated with the fan on the stove.

I could never stand the noise of a fan running.

Cold air is denser than warm air. (Warm air rises, cold sinks) it is easier to move coler air because of this. Therefore you are moving cold air toward the stove. It is being replaced with the wam air.

Cold air, being more dense and thus closer to the floor, gets blown towards the warmer stove air and creates a convection loop that replaces the displaced cold air with warm stove air. Or something like that...... Running the ceiling fan in reverse mixes the air further and seems to augment the convection loop effect..

So, I have a hot air furnace, if I ran my pellet stove and just my fan on my hot air system would that be beneficial in moving the warm air generated from my pellet stove throughout my house?

If so then I'm digging this idea!

Opinions, thoughts? I love learning about stuff like this.

EDIT, I think I just figured it out. My guess is that it wouldn't work because the air is not being moved directly through a hot source, it would go through my "cold" basement.

?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.