Have YOU seen this stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GypsyGirl

Jul 20, 2008
Midwest
Hi y'all,

We bought a small cast iron stove to install in a Gypsy wagon, and having done a little homework, I've never seen one quite like it. It's about 24"x24"24, and seems to be a cross between a potbelly stove and maybe a box stove. It was made by the Phillips & Buttorff Co. (Nashville), which made stoves after 1881. I'd love to know what it's called--and if anyone knows where we could find cast iron pipe, that would be awesome.

What'd ya do with the cute little ashtray? Rick

Thanks for the pipe suggestion--I'm not sure there are any recycled metal places around here, but then I've never looked before! These photos were too big to post earlier, and now they're smaller so you can see the stove. LMK what you think and if you've ever seen one like it! (It looks to be in great condition; no rust anywhere, and I don't think it's been painted, though the white dots you can see on top look like overspray paint from some other project). Also, if anyone knows where I could get enameled metal panels, I'd appreciate the lead.

As far as the ashtray, the door really DID open, but the whole thing was very small, and one of the feet broke off completely in shipping. So, UPS is going to reimburse me. :-D

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,428
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,189
Look for Stove Brite paint at your local hardware store or online. Be sure to only use outdoors in really good ventilation. This stuff rots brain cells, but is good stove paint.

Only place you are really going to find cast iron pipe used was old sewer and water lines... usually they are so far rotted that you wont be able to use them for much.

Take a trip to home depot, they may carry some large diameter ductile iron pipe, which looks alot like cast.

Thanks, Dan! I haven't measured the diameter, but I think it's probably 4".

Nobody has seen a stove like this? Potbelly below & two burners above? I'm dying to know what the heck it is. (At least it's not wearing a hat like the last one. ;-))

I saw one like it many years ago in CT. We called it a frog stove for lack of better terms.

Why are you trying to install with cast iron pipe? I'd suspect I'd use 5" double-wall and adapt it. Is this stove expected to be a functional heater or just for show? It seems like safety of the installation should be the first priority. Personally, I'd be more concerned about heat shielding and clearance to combustibles in a very small space and about staying anchored securely when traveling.

We do want to be able to use it occasionally, and will be shielding around it with layers of mineral board and steel, and keeping it clear of fabrics and such. Most often even if we do use it, we may just pop alcohol gel fuel inside, but I want it to look authentic regardless. There is not room in a 6x12 trailer for a 36" clearance, and stoves in the genuine Vardos were installed pretty tightly (see the photo in the link from the earlier thread). The pipe doesn't have to be cast iron, but it needs to at least LOOK like it.

Dori- would black Iron pipe be a close enough replica? Just a thought. Cut the treads off of each end??

That stove looks to be proper vintage for your wagon.

Hi Pyro,

Yes, I think black iron pipe would work fine--it would be lighter weight than cast iron, too. Where would we get that?

It turned out kind of nice that the other stove broke in the mail, because this one is so much more functional. With two burners, we could actually cook on it if we set things up right--or it will at least look as if we can. The wagon will be insulated and shouldn't be as cold inside as a canvas tent, so the days when we'd need heat are fewer anyway.

Dori Schatell said:
Hi Pyro,

Yes, I think black iron pipe would work fine--it would be lighter weight than cast iron, too. Where would we get that?

It turned out kind of nice that the other stove broke in the mail, because this one is so much more functional. With two burners, we could actually cook on it if we set things up right--or it will at least look as if we can. The wagon will be insulated and shouldn't be as cold inside as a canvas tent, so the days when we'd need heat are fewer anyway.

Dori - Black pipe can be found at most places that carry plumbing supplies. The 4,5 and 6" may be a little more difficult to find, but plumbers still use it in industrial buildings all the time. As a suggestion, I would consider cleaning the pipe VERY good (usually has a small amount of oil on it) and maybe even go as far as sanding off the "black" and repainting with high temp stove paint if you are gonna have "real" fires in it.

Mystery solved--it's a laundry stove! I've found some other photos. :-D

Attachments

• 251891639_2e269b0d8d.jpg
    251891639_2e269b0d8d.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 592
  • 260309509_80ae62b409.jpg
    260309509_80ae62b409.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 484
Oooh, oval exhaust. You may have to get creative to find the proper oval to round adapter for that.

p.s. I don't think I would leave the scarf around it when fired up. :lol:

Why the heck would it be called a laundry stove?? maybe designed for the old "wash house"??

Jags , think back a bit, you must still remember a bit about the good old days prior to central hot water heaters ;-).
Ya know those old copper tubs often called boiler tubs? They were specifically for heating up the wash.

Now one of those tubs holds our kindling. Well, at least it's close to the stove.

BeGreen said:
Jags , think back a bit, you must still remember a bit about the good old days prior to central hot water heaters ;-).
Ya know those old copper tubs often called boiler tubs? They were specifically for heating up the wash.

Now one of those tubs holds our kindling. Well, at least it's close to the stove.

He, he, he....I know what your talking about, but its more from pictures and stories than experience. I don't go back quite that far. I'm just a young pup at 40 yrs old.

OH, just a young pup eh? You mean you don't actually need that motorized walker?

BeGreen said:
OH, just a young pup eh? You mean you don't actually need that motorized walker?

Oh, you mean my motorized bar stool? Yeah, theres times I need that.

Jags said:
Dori - Black pipe can be found at most places that carry plumbing supplies. The 4,5 and 6" may be a little more difficult to find, but plumbers still use it in industrial buildings all the time. As a suggestion, I would consider cleaning the pipe VERY good (usually has a small amount of oil on it) and maybe even go as far as sanding off the "black" and repainting with high temp stove paint if you are gonna have "real" fires in it.

I don't know about out west but here in NJ plumbing supplies also sell the real cast iron pipe too. I work for a plumber and we still use cast iron for some commercial jobs where the pipe is located in an area that requires a fire rating. Last year we did a job with 8" and 10" cast iron roof drains. Man that stuff is heavy. As far as I know it only comes 10 foot long.

The stove I'm pretty certain is a Laundry Stove. They were small for placing in laundry rooms, and were used for heating water for washing and for heating sad irons. I collect Phillip & Buttorff items. If you ever decide to sell or know of other items please let me know.

Not planning on selling it at the moment, but if we do, you'll be the first to know. :) What do you know about the company? I tried to do a bit of online research but didn't find much.

Status
Not open for further replies.