having issues with new circuit board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NanaLynn

Nov 29, 2014
New York
We put in a new circuit board on our 6100 us stove but it also works on 6220. The exhaust fan surges up and down and blows the air into the fire chamber. how do we stop it from surging?

Welcome to the forum ... exhaust fan should be extracting air from fire chamber and out venting. Are you sure you're talking about the right blower?

What were the symptoms that resulted in new control board?

Have you cleaned out the motors ? Do the windings to as they get dust bunnies too...

Keep us posted...

Welcome to the forum ... exhaust fan should be extracting air from fire chamber and out venting. Are you sure you're talking about the right blower?

What were the symptoms that resulted in new control board?

Have you cleaned out the motors ? Do the windings to as they get dust bunnies too...

Keep us posted...
yes, we had error code 8,we replaced both blower motors, still had error code 8, we replaced the circuit board and now the exhaust fan surges up and down which it never did before and puts a puff of air in the fire chamber. we don't know how to fix it so it stops doing that.

Got me, shaded pole motors (they are all shaded pole btw) only run one way normally.

USSC has a habit of slowing down and speeding up their combustion blowers. You should call them to verify that they sent you the correct board for your stove and that it normally speeds up and slows down the combustion blower when running.

USSC has a habit of slowing down and speeding up their combustion blowers. You should call them to verify that they sent you the correct board for your stove and that it normally speeds up and slows down the combustion blower when running.

Only when impacted by the pressure switch as in opening the door. When the door is closed and the access plates are in the correct position, combustion blower speed is controlled by the alogrithm in the ECU chip and/or is overridden by the HR level control. Raising the HR increases the combustion fan spped accordingly. Pulsing of the combustion fan is indicative of a neutral pressure condition in the firebox. Thats how they work.

Not a 'habit' but a design parameter of the unit. The pressure (diaphragm) switch is 'looking' for a negative pressure condition and pulses the combustion fan as it 'looks'.

Far as I konw, USSC has only produced 3 distinctly different boards. the original analog control board, the 3 button digital and the 4 button digital. The 4 button digital came in a nunber of upgrade versions but the basic operation is still the same.
Most all the 3 button and all the 4 button control boards pulse but again, the pulse is a function of the pressure switch signaling the board to pulse the combustion fan as it 'looks' for a negative pressure condition. Something isn't in place in the unit to cause the pulsing.

Only when impacted by the pressure switch as in opening the door. When the door is closed and the access plates are in the correct position, combustion blower speed is controlled by the alogrithm in the ECU chip and/or is overridden by the HR level control. Raising the HR increases the combustion fan spped accordingly. Pulsing of the combustion fan is indicative of a neutral pressure condition in the firebox. Thats how they work.

Not a 'habit' but a design parameter of the unit. The pressure (diaphragm) switch is 'looking' for a negative pressure condition and pulses the combustion fan as it 'looks'.

Far as I konw, USSC has only produced 3 distinctly different boards. the original analog control board, the 3 button digital and the 4 button digital. The 4 button digital came in a nunber of upgrade versions but the basic operation is still the same.
Most all the 3 button and all the 4 button control boards pulse but again, the pulse is a function of the pressure switch signaling the board to pulse the combustion fan as it 'looks' for a negative pressure condition. Something isn't in place in the unit to cause the pulsing.

Whether it is a programed response to a pressure switch or not it is intentional to cause a certain condition in the firebox. It may not be the correct board for that users stove or .USSC will tell her it is fine. I have seen the control board changes over the years and many people have been caught unawares about the speed changes of the combustion blower on their stoves.

Maybe I should use some word other than habit for all of the changes that seem to be made and infrequently communicated to the user.

Probably would have been more in tune with the condition...

It's very easy to ascertain the version number of a particular board. Just unplug the unit and plug it back in and the board will reenergize and the version number will come right up before the board fully energizes. It will be 2.------ something.and a call to USSC should solve or at least shed some light on the issue. The version number just indicates the alogrithm programming of the control chip, Basic functions and safety features remain unchanged.

You can also reset the board to the factory parameters on a 4 button control by pushing the 'Aux Up and Aux Down buttons together and holding them down for 3 seconds. That resets the control board to the factory parameters and also displays the version number, so there are 2 ways to get the version number, a restart and a cold start.

I suspect the op isn't accurately describing whats occuring but rather is surmizing whats occuring based on what they hear. I've never seen one 'puff' back in 30 years. I have heard them pulse and mine does in a neutral pressure condition, that is, door open, access plates not seated or draft shutter wide open at startup (and some units aren't equipped with a draft shutter either), but thats neither here nor there at this point.

USSC does not intend the end user to fiddle with the unit, but rather to run it pre-programed. If you follow and read the instruction manual and set up the unit correctly, 99% of the time it's foolproof. Having said that, I can make mine dance the dance but sometimes, even I have to do a hard reset when I get my board wacked up. Artifical intellegence is usually smarter than we 'think' we are......

USSC does not intend the end user to fiddle with the unit, but rather to run it pre-programed. If you follow and read the instruction manual and set up the unit correctly, 99% of the time it's foolproof. Having said that, I can make mine dance the dance but sometimes, even I have to do a hard reset when I get my board wacked up. Artifical intellegence is usually smarter than we 'think' we are......

Yes I'm aware that USSC doesn't intend the user to fiddle with it but then again I've seen some folks with USSC stoves have strange fuel consumption and when on the phone to USSC end up changing the parameters for fuel delivery, likewise there have been cases of other vendors boards resetting to an improper operation mode or even failing to reset. Like I said I've been around too long and have seen some strange things. Including things that shouldn't be according to the book but in real life did happen. One of the things one learns early on in electronics is that a part used to protect another is sometimes protected by the part that is supposed to be protected. Sort of like S0C4's that aren't really there.

My 'electronic' expertise is limited to conversational programming of the CNC machines I own. Thats it. What I do know about these stoves, I've learned over 30 years and that is, so long as you stick to the pre programmed parameters and don't fiddle with it, 99% of the time, they run fine. I also knw thaqt most electronic components are lowest bidder scenario's, something I experience with multi thousand dollar CNC machines that have issues with a 2 dollar part because of the low bidder philosophy and, I'm quite confident that USSC is no exception, but I believe this is a mechanical issue, not an electronic issue bit we will have to adopt a wait and see until the op determines the version number and contacts USSC for assistance.

My expertise is limited to the 45 years in all phases of programing, testing , and debugging of programed systems. As a result, I trust very little when it comes to programmed electronics in a hostile environment controlling mechanical devices. Now it is time to feed the birds.

Thats not me. I'm a mechanical person as evidenced by service calls from company reps when my CNC machines get 'headaches'..... Birds prefer corn over pellets...lol

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.