Having some troubles with an Absolute 43.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StirnPanzer

Jul 25, 2020
Ontario, OR
Morning all,

I had a customer who purchased an Absolute 43 a couple of months ago and he just got done with a self install. He's having some troubles with slow ignition, very lazy flame, glass blackening up. That's leading me to believe he's got a venting issue, but its all brand new venting....its run pretty oddly, and I'm going to be going over this next week to troubleshoot what's going on with it. It's got me scratching my head because I test burned it here at the shop and it ran like a sewing machine...absolutely no problems at all. Would a overly long horizontal run be a potential cause, or perhaps a extended overall run? He 90's off the stove, then 45's to a horizontal run, then 90's into a masonry chimney and has a liner all the way up. The hard pipe is 3 inch then changes to 4 inch in the chimney. Just trying to get some troubleshooting ideas on what to be looking for to try and help him out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Could be a long run with too many bends, but it also might be poor quality. Bring along some good pellets and see if burning them makes a difference.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. I've been talking with our senior tech, and with my boss as well on it, and they are also thinking along similar lines. I haven't really seen anything in the install manual for the maximum number of turns, but he might have too long of a run for 3 inch even though it changes to 4 inch at the chimney itself.

See if you can get some photos of that setup