HD Electric String Trimmers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Im contemplating an electric heavy duty string trimmer. I already have a royobi 18 Volt small trimmer which i think is fantastic for smaller jobs ,so im totally sold that electric can do the job. Iv been looking at the EGO 15in and the Royobi 40 volt as well as other heavy duty models at Home Depot. If anyone here can chime in on their experience with the bigger string trimmers. Iv had it with the gas models so im not going back there. Im leaning toward the EGO because it looks beefier with .095 line and easy string loading.

Last edited:
I have the EGO lawn mower and love it. Coworker has the combo leaf blower/trimmer and snow blower and says they are all great too. I don't think you can go wrong with EGO.

Have everything gas, but replaced a gas trimmer a few years back with a B&D electric (battery). I like the thing. Long battery life, powerful.

I have the EGO lawn mower and love it. Coworker has the combo leaf blower/trimmer and snow blower and says they are all great too. I don't think you can go wrong with EGO.
Iv read a few reviews complaining about the customer service if you have a problem. Mostly good to great reviews on the equipment itself but those who have had problems not treated so well by customer warranty. It does have a 90 day return policy I think is from HD though ,hell summer will be almost over by them so what do I have to lose?

Have everything gas, but replaced a gas trimmer a few years back with a B&D electric (battery). I like the thing. Long battery life, powerful.
I only need about a half hours battery time and I think these new ones are up to that. With the gas ones iv had either the ethanol ate up the parts or hard starting ect. Was even considering a propane one, but now electric seems to be taking over.

i just picked up a Husqvarna 115iL, and it has been pretty good to me. It is not super heavy duty, but I was cutting back stuff that was waist high the other day without much of an issue. It has an "eco" mode, which was nice for the stuff that was not too long, like around the fence and the garden beds. I got about 1.5 hours of heavy cutting on the battery, which I thought was pretty decent. I picked it up from lowes for less than $200. Battery charges pretty quick too.

I purchased the EGO leaf blower when they first came out some years ago. Gave it a try since I am/was tired of maintaining small gas engines. It has been great for use around the house and deck. The battery charger crapped out after a couple of years. EGO replaced it free of charge with a return ship box for the old unit. Was surprised on that one. Certainly not a blower to be used commercially, but fine around the house and yard.

I may have to rethink this as i spent a few hours with one of those big walk behind 7HP gas engine craftsman string trimmers yesterday and it was doing the job but im not sure something smaller would.

I may have to rethink this as i spent a few hours with one of those big walk behind 7HP gas engine craftsman string trimmers yesterday and it was doing the job but im not sure something smaller would.
i have a 6.5hp Dirty Hand Tools walk behind string trimmer with a 22" cutting swath. That thing is awesome, and I am so glad I have it. It is a bit much to do the edges and some of the steeper hills...

It did ok here, but it is so bumpy with the rocks and concrete that are back there, that it makes it a little tough
H9Yu6Cttl4qTE4HUVBvlzuq1es8EPI0AryCkgpwGnKOJA_q9auS-LmAGzn9lqLs4JhA4E1g7HhT38r-oCBP=w822-h616-no.jpg

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I have some major jungle areas as well with that thorny weed that,s tough as nails. If i dont do it often it needs some HD equipment to clear.

the rose bush in the middle of this picture is 6' tall, and most of the shoots are about 2" around.... SO ANNOYING!
Y0bbAmTKHv668XlyTunqzDjbfjR8c5VjIWGWFkL5lCHVj3LkLKawah3USkTiY0Un2ZHfNANBng4qWzmleoA=w822-h616-no.jpg

be careful where you use string trimmers -if you have any of 3 leaves let it be stuff around as the trimmers will toss the oil airborne.