Hearth clearance Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 / MORSØ 5660 BLOWER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Igor

Nov 10, 2018
Tennessee
Hi,
I am wanting to add a fire place insert into my existing fireplace. I am looking at a flush mounted Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 or possibly a Morso 5660 w/ blower if the Neo does not work. My only question at the moment is about the clearance on the hearth. The specs in the Neo insert state non combustible material, 2" thick, extending 16" out and 8" left/right. The Morso specs are similar but do not mention a thickness. As you can see I have a floating / raised wood hearth that extends 17" out that I made my self (solid oak 3/4 thick resting on an existing floating cement hearth, I am really happy with it). My existing setup is vented gas logs so this, IMO, is perfectly safe and the wood only gets slightly warm to the touch but no where near hot.

Is this simply to guard against embers that might fall out or does this floor area really get that hot to the point where a/the wood hearth might combust if left in place? Is there a temporary or removable substitute that would be a safe alternative (like a flame retardant mat) that I could use over the wood hearth in front of the insert?

I have no previous stove/insert experience to draw from so I would love to hear from anyone that has one of these units what they think.

Thank you in advance,
-Igor
Existing Fireplace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First you need to find out what make & model ZC fireplace this is. It looks like a gas fireplace. For sure that wood hearth is not kosher, code or proper. Based on the picture there is a good chance that this unit can not be used for a wood insert.

First you need to find out what make & model ZC fireplace this is. It looks like a gas fireplace. For sure that wood hearth is not kosher, code or proper. Based on the picture there is a good chance that this unit can not be used for a wood insert.
I am pretty sure that is a masonry fireplace.

Hi,
I am wanting to add a fire place insert into my existing fireplace. I am looking at a flush mounted Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 or possibly a Morso 5660 w/ blower if the Neo does not work. My only question at the moment is about the clearance on the hearth. The specs in the Neo insert state non combustible material, 2" thick, extending 16" out and 8" left/right. The Morso specs are similar but do not mention a thickness. As you can see I have a floating / raised wood hearth that extends 17" out that I made my self (solid oak 3/4 thick resting on an existing floating cement hearth, I am really happy with it). My existing setup is vented gas logs so this, IMO, is perfectly safe and the wood only gets slightly warm to the touch but no where near hot.

Is this simply to guard against embers that might fall out or does this floor area really get that hot to the point where a/the wood hearth might combust if left in place? Is there a temporary or removable substitute that would be a safe alternative (like a flame retardant mat) that I could use over the wood hearth in front of the insert?

I have no previous stove/insert experience to draw from so I would love to hear from anyone that has one of these units what they think.

Thank you in advance,
-Igor
View attachment 232852
A wood hearth extension is not safe with your current setup. And certainly wont be with an insert

I am pretty sure that is a masonry fireplace.
Likely right. The gas logs and wood hearth made me doubtful, but on second look it does look more like aftermarket doors and logs. That wood hearth set off alarms.

Likely right. The gas logs and wood hearth made me doubtful, but on second look it does look more like aftermarket doors and logs. That wood hearth set off alarms.
Yes it does. The top sealing damper control anchored with lead pins was the giveaway for me that is was masonry.

Thank you all for the replies. I guess I will be repurposing the wood and start looking at either tile or granite as a replacement before I go any further with a wood stove insert.

I am sorry I forgot to include it is a masonry fireplace with a set of gas logs set in it.
-Igor

Good to hear you will fix this. A wood insert is going to radiate a lot of heat. There are lots of options for hearth materials depending on the look you want. If the goal is heating I'd lean toward the Neo 2.5. It has a much larger firebox. You don't need to raise the hearth if you prefer a lower one.

The hearth requirement is type 1 ember protection, but the specs in the manual are somewhat generic and simple. They don't cover a raised hearth if you want to keep it at floor level. As long as it's non-combustible you can use almost any material. At floor level a sheet of metal would suffice. Our old hearth in front of the fireplace was a slab of black, chemistry lab countertop.

Last edited:
That is good to know. Maybe a 1/2" thick sheet of aluminum (or other suitable metal) that covers the wood surface from the left edge extending 8" past the right of the fireplace and the full 17" out would do as well? Then I could remove it in the summer time. It would be much less work and cheaper than replacing the wood.

Last edited:
The wood should be removed, metal is quite conductive. I was talking about placing something on the existing floating cement hearth. Do you have a picture of the hearth before the wood was added?

That is good to know. Maybe a 1/2" thick sheet of aluminum (or other suitable metal) that covers the wood surface from the left edge extending 8" past the right of the fireplace and the full 17" out would do as well? Then I could remove it in the summer time. It would be much less work and cheaper than replacing the wood.
No it all needs to be noncombustible. Is there masonry burried under that hearth extension?

Ok, got it.

Yeah. It is a floating concrete / masonry shelf (with ugly tile that could be removed). Shelf is between 5" and 7" thick depending on where you measure (thicker near base than the protruding edge). I fabricated a oak box (no bottom) that rests on top of that shelf. The shelf itself can't be removed but the wood I added can be (just lift it back up).

Thanks @begreen. I am not too worried about the tile. I do really appreciate your insight, as well as the other members who responded, and now know what I have to do to make this happen and be safe :)

-Igor

Reactions: bholler