Hearth Country Ash Vacuum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spsalmon

Feb 8, 2011
Upstate NY
I recently bought a Hearth Country Model 400 ash vacuum.This is pretty close to the biggest piece of over-priced crap I've ever bought.I decided to use it for my weekly clean out of our pellet stove.At first,the suction seemed very adequate,but after sucking up about a coffee cup of ash,the suction about disappeared.I let it run a while,then I decided to feel the exhaust from the vacuum.Very hot air coming out and the motor was very hot to the touch.No,I did not suck up any hot ash.The stove had been shut down for several hours.I then shut it off to check the filter.Completely plugged.I then went out to my shop and brought in my 30 some year old shop vac to finish the job with no other problems.I bought the ash vacuum from a hardware store that sells on E-bay.I've e-mailed the company these vacs come from in Rutland,Vt to express my disappointment in their product.Of course,they told me to get in touch with the company I bought it from.No customer support at all.Needless to say,I will be sending it back for a refund.Anyone else here have an opinion to share about the Hearth Country Model 400?

Pete&Sue; said:
I recently bought a Hearth Country Model 400 ash vacuum.This is pretty close to the biggest piece of over-priced crap I've ever bought.I decided to use it for my weekly clean out of our pellet stove.At first,the suction seemed very adequate,but after sucking up about a coffee cup of ash,the suction about disappeared.I let it run a while,then I decided to feel the exhaust from the vacuum.Very hot air coming out and the motor was very hot to the touch.No,I did not suck up any hot ash.The stove had been shut down for several hours.I then shut it off to check the filter.Completely plugged.I then went out to my shop and brought in my 30 some year old shop vac to finish the job with no other problems.I bought the ash vacuum from a hardware store that sells on E-bay.I've e-mailed the company these vacs come from in Rutland,Vt to express my disappointment in their product.Of course,they told me to get in touch with the company I bought it from.No customer support at all.Needless to say,I will be sending it back for a refund.Anyone else here have an opinion to share about the Hearth Country Model 400?

We sell these vacuums and do have complaints from time to time. We use one to clean out our burning display stoves, but I would definitely agree that it is junk compared to the other ash vacs out there.

The catch is.... we sell this vacuum for half the price of the good vacuums. We had complaints that our ash vacs were priced to high (they aren't, they are just good vacuums) so we started selling these. I make sure to explain the difference to each customer that I can. The harsh reality is, you usually get what you pay for and a lot of people don't want to pay for quality products.

Jay,
We ordered this online and from what we read, we were getting a good vacuum with double filters (which apparently they no longer use). What can you recommend?
Sue

Pete&Sue; said:
Jay,
We ordered this online and from what we read, we were getting a good vacuum with double filters (which apparently they no longer use). What can you recommend?
Sue

They recently switched to the one filter with an outer bag instead of the two filters.

I would recommend the cheetah or cricket ash vacuums. Both are very reliable and much more powerful than the hearth country. Expect to pay between $230-280 though.

Let me know if I can help with anything :)

Clarks ACE Hardware said:
Pete&Sue; said:
Jay,
Sue

They recently switched to the one filter with an outer bag instead of the two filters.

I would recommend the cheetah or cricket ash vacuums. Both are very reliable and much more powerful than the hearth country. Expect to pay between $230-280 though.

Let me know if I can help with anything :)

I've had a cheetah now for going on two years.never had a problem with it but like Jay says,they ain't cheap

Go to Home Depot and buy a 5 gal bucket then go to the shop vac section and buy a bucket lid vac for $20. You will have a great vac for $25. I brush all as much of my ash onto the ashtray as possible, so I can dump it out. Then I use my $25 vac for the rest of the clean up. It has been great! I can leave the ash in the basket for many cleanouts then easily cary it to my garden to dump. After dumping the vac and cleaning the filter, do run it out side for a a brief time.

My shop vac with the drywall filter works great... i dont vac any hot ash anyways and it works great...

I have the mod 400. I use it 3-4 times a week with no problems it has been my best buy for my stove. I get no ash, dust in the house keeps the wife happy. I did purchase a new filter but the old one is still going I just wanted it so I can replace it when needed. I didn't buy the pellet stove cleaning kit I just used some pipe and duck tape and an old garden hose. I can run mine till it fills half way and then I just empty and shake the filter clean and its good to go. No complaints here love it.

Greetings;
I have the exact problem. I was looking to see if I could find a place to order filters and found this thread.
My pellet stove does not have an ash draw so I use the vacuum ~ every third day. I empty the vac each time and can not even clean the stove once without having to clear the filter. I make a first pass until I lose suction and then take out side to clean and then use again to finish and then clean again when done. What a pain when it is less than 20 degrees outside.
I use a soft brush on the filter and and careful to not beat too much but they still do not last long. Looked at e-Bay to see if I could find a filter cheaper and they are $19.00. Gets expense if replacing monthly.
I am wondering if anyone has experience in adding a second filter inline before the existing filter.
I am considering just using my shopvac.

AlanDean777, what filters come with that bucket lid vac??? OK found it. You use filters that came with it or different??

Status
Not open for further replies.