Hearth dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetmech

Dec 8, 2007
Dillsburg PA
Heres the story. Am working on installing a intrepid in the corner of my sunroom which is connected to the living room. The house is new to me and the previous owner told me sun room was on concrete slab. So i was going to tile over the concrete for the hearth. However have since learned that sunroom was built over exsisting patio and there is a small sub floor about 3 inches.. question is do i tear out subfloor where the stove will sit and fill the void with something or just bite the bullet and buy a hearth pad... any suggestions would be great.

Not sure,,, looked in manual and cant find specific r rating. It does say minimum over combustible floor is 2 sheets 1/4 inch mineral board covered with 1 sheet 24 guage sheet metal....

I hate it when they say something vague like mineral board, If it were me Id put down a piece of 24 gague then a 1/2" piece of duroc and tile. should be pleanty

Go with Micore 300, thats what they use for hearthpads.
Micore then durock then tile , trim it out however you choose.

Mineral board or Ceramic Board (Micore) 1/2" 1.100

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm

K-value is something that needs to be looked at as well though I havent seen it in many manuals

Status
Not open for further replies.