Hearth extension confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mmahdi

Mar 2, 2023
Scarborough
Hello,

I live in Canada. I quite well udnerstand the 'Ember protection' requirements.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with the 'Fireplace hearth' requirement. I attached a pic from the manual, stating it needs to extend 16" in front..... my hearth extends 13" and is elevated.

My question is will placing tiles or a stone on the ground in front that meets 16" requirement work, or, is the actual stone the insert sits on needs to be 16" out?

I'm a bit unsure how to proceed and can use some clarification on the requirement and ideas how to meet it.

Thanks.

**Note: the blue highlighted area in the 2nd picture is to meet ember protection, not the hearth extension. Sorry if it caused further confusion.

Hearth 16 reqd.jpg20230925_130958.jpg

With a 9" drop, ember protection only at the floor level may be sufficient unless the manual specifies something different. What insert is this for?

You will be fine with your plan.

I agree -- I think the 5" drop will be fine. But,.... if I were you I'd call your insurance company and explain your plan and have them write it into your policy. Send them a pic of the final product so you have some liability on their side. Or if you want to just be safe... buy a bigger pad and tuck it under your rug. Looks like that will give you easily 18"+ non burnable.

If I recall correct, Canada has a little stricter laws than the US about hearth requirements.