Hearth Extension - making sure it's up to code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supnah

Oct 28, 2013
Oregon
Our hearth is 4" short of the distance we need for the wood-burning insert we want. There's currently a marble slab in with wood flooring laid around it. We definitely are not interested in undoing any of that. We would rather get a smaller insert than tear up the floor or slab. However, I'm interested in knowing how easy it would be to extend it another 4".

We live in Oregon and I'm having a hard time understanding what is up to code - does it need to be permanently fixed to the floor?

We would love to go buy a slab of 4" x 1.5" x 55" marble or granite or get some concrete poured to that dimension and just lay it up against the existing marble slab, but will that be enough?

What can we do without messing up the floors or tearing up the floors and slab? Can we just lay down a bit non-combustible slab like that and pass inspection?

Thanks for the help!

Our hearth is 4" short of the distance we need for the wood-burning insert we want. There's currently a marble slab in with wood flooring laid around it. We definitely are not interested in undoing any of that. We would rather get a smaller insert than tear up the floor or slab. However, I'm interested in knowing how easy it would be to extend it another 4".

We live in Oregon and I'm having a hard time understanding what is up to code - does it need to be permanently fixed to the floor?

We would love to go buy a slab of 4" x 1.5" x 55" marble or granite or get some concrete poured to that dimension and just lay it up against the existing marble slab, but will that be enough?

What can we do without messing up the floors or tearing up the floors and slab? Can we just lay down a bit non-combustible slab like that and pass inspection?

Thanks for the help!

Extending it should be doable & depending on which insert you are intending to buy, may meet the criteria for hearth protection. Not all inserts have the same requirements. Can you tell us what you're looking to install & post a pic of what you currently have for a hearth?

Reactions: supnah
Extending it should be doable & depending on which insert you are intending to buy, may meet the criteria for hearth protection. Not all inserts have the same requirements. Can you tell us what you're looking to install & post a pic of what you currently have for a hearth?

You bet. I'm deciding between the Avalon Rainier (which will fit - no problem), and the Lopi Revere, which extends 10" onto the hearth and requires an additional 16" beyond that, for a total of 26". We'd like the extra size of the Revere, not to mention a flat surface to set things on, but the existing marble slab is 22", so we're 4" short. I will get some photos up when my wife wakes up - I'm traveling a few time zones ahead of her right now.

OK - back with photos, as promised. Here are a few shots of the marble slab inlaid into the floor. We didn't do this work, this was done when we came into the house.

MOksvy8.jpg

owgyxxv.jpg

cPg06n8.jpg

HgaOSwG.jpg

the right way would be to take a skill saw, snap lines for cuts into that harwood and remove the hardwood and set a new 2 1/2" slab to sister up to the exsisting one. The problem is your hardwood is "picture framed" around the hearth so it makes it a little more difficult. 1 1/2" is fine in terms of r value of any ash (the stove is nowhere near this peice being sistered). If its me.... im just getting a small piece of granite to use as hearth pad to come even with your current hearth, im only making it as long as the firebox opening (not the hearth), i also might have it cut at angles on either side to make it look nice. You should go to your building inspector and bring him a coffee and shake his hand and ask him if he could take a peek sometime (what he says is law and he has all the discretion he wants).

I should note... it appears you need a new ash drop in the firebox (before you install your new insert take the time to fill any voids in the brick work (they sell caulking tubes just for this purpose), get a new cast iron ash drop and cement it in place.

Interesting. I've probably done almost 75 of these type finishes & NEVER had the hearth that high above the hardwoods. Always level. We used a 3/4" thick stone to sit flush to the floor. Yours looks to be at least 3/4" ABOVE the hardwoods. If you can find out where the hearth stone came from, maybe you can add a 4" section - all the way around for consistency - to either match it or contrast it, but in order to set it correctly, it's gotta be on a backer board. That'll probably mean some sort of finish trim around the periphery...

Last edited:
I did something like this, excepting that I wanted my hearth extension recessed, flush with the floor. Also, I was dealing with very un-level 1770's construction, flooring that ran RIGHT up to the original firebox (no hearth extension), and roughed tree trunk joists. I'll post a link to the thread detailing some of the work.

However, I have to ask, do you really like that marble slab? I think you could come up with something that looks nicer, while getting the 26" you require. I'd consider brick tiles from Inglenook Tile, or even a piece of flagstone or soap stone. Rather than scarfing a new piece of marble, which will never match the old anyway, take the opportunity to make it look the way you want.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/old-fireplace.88498/

http://www.inglenooktile.com/walls-ceilings-and-fireplaces.html

I had a similar situation... needed 18" of wood floor protection and didn't want anything permanent. My stove required embers only protection so I just got a piece of 1/2" tempered glass cut to fit. The weight of the stove holds it in place.

Look at your existing fireplace critically, especially if you have no idea if the work was done by professionals or a homeowner. How is the existing hearth extension supported? Hopefully there isn't any wood under there. Look at it from underneath if possible. Check other clearances to combustibles around the opening.
Inserts (not the zero clearance kind) are usually designed to go into a code compliant fireplace...meaning something that can safely burn wood as a fireplace without an insert. Talking to your local building official may be helpful.

Hey neighbor, can you get an OAK though your ash dump? If so the state will give you $300 off your taxes. How tall and deep is your firebox? I cut the legs down on my Kuma Ashwood and my hearth is only 20" and it works fine for heath protection. The stove stands 24" tall and is 27" wide. So I would think an insert would need less room, as it sits further back into the firebox.

Geez 26 inches sure sounds like a lot. My free standing stove does not need more than 18 inches in any direction other than vertical. Possibly look at different insert if you have not bought one yet?

I would get a piece of matching slab, and just lay it on the floor (butt it against existing) during the burning season

Geez 26 inches sure sounds like a lot. My free standing stove does not need more than 18 inches in any direction other than vertical. Possibly look at different insert if you have not bought one yet?
He stated he only needs 16" in front of the stove, but the stove extends 10" out onto the existing hearth extension.

He stated he only needs 16" in front of the stove, but the stove extends 10" out onto the existing hearth extension.
Sorry missed that somehow. Just another case of me not paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.