Hearth floor clearance, wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GilbertAZ

Dec 24, 2022
Ct
Noob here. Wondering if i can pick my Friends brains before reaching out to insurance for this question. Please take a look at the documents attached. One of them is a document for my insurance company and you'll see highlighted number 4, where they say they're looking for at least 18" of clearance from the front of the insert to the end of the hearth. As you can see the total clearance I currently have from my fireplace is 20 and 5/8 inches. However the insert has a face that extends out about 6" Out from the fireplace.

Do you think that the required 18" of clearance would be to the base of the insert where it sits into the fireplace which is about 20" away or do you think the length they would be Subtracting that 6" out from the 20" leaving me shy of the 18" requirement? My hunch is the latter, but my wife feels like the section on the insurance Form is for actual stoves and not necessarily for inserts so she's not sure that the same standard applies.

Think i can just purchase A mat or pad or something like that to extend the non combustible area a few inches pass the masonry if I need to? Height is 7" up from the floor.

Thanks for all your help. Just looking to get some advice from experts before I have a conversation with the insurance company. Thank you in advance.

20221224_111838.jpg 20221224_111954.jpg 20221224_112120.jpg

Noob here. Wondering if i can pick my Friends brains before reaching out to insurance for this question. Please take a look at the documents attached. One of them is a document for my insurance company and you'll see highlighted number 4, where they say they're looking for at least 18" of clearance from the front of the insert to the end of the hearth. As you can see the total clearance I currently have from my fireplace is 20 and 5/8 inches. However the insert has a face that extends out about 6" Out from the fireplace.

Do you think that the required 18" of clearance would be to the base of the insert where it sits into the fireplace which is about 20" away or do you think the length they would be Subtracting that 6" out from the 20" leaving me shy of the 18" requirement? My hunch is the latter, but my wife feels like the section on the insurance Form is for actual stoves and not necessarily for inserts so she's not sure that the same standard applies.

Think i can just purchase A mat or pad or something like that to extend the non combustible area a few inches pass the masonry if I need to? Height is 7" up from the floor.

Thanks for all your help. Just looking to get some advice from experts before I have a conversation with the insurance company. Thank you in advance.

View attachment 306096 View attachment 306097 View attachment 306098
The hearth protection is usually from the face of the door. And most modern stoves in the US only require 16" but you will still need an extension

The hearth protection is usually from the face of the door. And most modern stoves in the US only require 16" but you will still need an extension
Thanks! I see you can purchase $100 hearth extension mats/rugs/pads online. Any inclination if those are typically sufficient to meet the requirements or if something permanent is typically required?

Thanks! I see you can purchase $100 hearth extension mats/rugs/pads online. Any inclination if those are typically sufficient to meet the requirements or if something permanent is typically required?
Rugs are not most boards are

Reactions: GilbertAZ
This is the kind of board extender I have. Very heavy and well made. Appears to be ceramic. I think I paid about $250 for it. The white stuff is ceramic blanket strip, as there is a small gap where it pushes against the brick because and I didn’t want an ember to fall in there. Just helps me sleep better. The extender works wells and meets all requirements

86680C74-15D0-4C1F-84CB-9E13420073F9.jpeg