hearth installation / alcove requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodenboat

Nov 14, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Hi all,
I am in the process of replacing my old hearth fireplace (built on site, not an insert), with a wood stove. I just spoke with a salesman and he informed me that alcove clearance requirements apply to hearth installation in masonry chimneys. My stove would be partially inserted into the hearth, meaning in the 100% masonry chimney. In my understanding, because this is a non-combustible composition (not only finish), the minimum clearances for alcove installation should not apply. Could anyone please enlighten me? the stove I am considering is a Morso 2b standard.

thank you

pcg

What is meant by a hearth fireplace? Is this an entirely masonry constructed fireplace or something like a heatform with a metal shell inside of a masonry jacket? Pictures may help.

It is a masonry chimney. The front stone you see is just a fascia built in front of the brick chimney which is sitting on a large concrete pad built into the foundation of the house. The inside of the fireplace has apparent masonry as well. The only steel in there is the register plate and the steel angles to allow for the fireplace opening.

Attachments

• 20180104_150115.jpg
    20180104_150115.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180104_150140.jpg
    20180104_150140.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180104_150151.jpg
    20180104_150151.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 99
If this is a full masonry fireplace then alcove rules don't apply. The concern is mantle clearances but that's not an issue in this manteless installation. The stove will still need 16" of hearth protection in front of it. In the manual Morso recommends:
When the stove is positioned near non-combustible materials, a gap of 4 inches or more is recommended for cleaning purposes and to ensure that heat circulates around the stove and out into the room.

There should be a full, insulated stainless liner on the stove and ablock-off plate below the damper area