Hearth Material for Defiant Flexburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wood Junkie

Apr 5, 2018
Victoria ,MN
Hello all,
I am new to this forum.I am installing a vermont casting defiant flexburn unit in my 1930's boathouse.I am building the hearth andf have done all sorts of research about Micore 300,which is what I am using .All these fireplace stores are selling 4- 2x4 sheets for $140.00, went to an acoustical supply house Golden Valley Supply CO. today and got a 4x8 sheet of it 1/2" for $23.88,and they have no problem selling to anyone who wants one or 500 sheets.Just an FYI if you live in MN.TGreat people!!,they can be reached at 763-544-8907
I am using two layers of micore 300,1/2" Durock and covering it with mica stone which will give me an r value of 2.21 which is little much but I'm overkill eddie when it comes time to have this inspected I wont worry about my hearth passing .Steve

Reactions: KennyK
Interesting.
Couple of questions since the Encore Flexburn is the only choice for what the wife wants/needs ( nice enamel color, top load, thermo air control, pretty, easy ash pan} :
Any doubts about the choice of the Flexburn, and why this stove ?
The Flexburns come with both rear and bottom heat shields. The hearth R spec is well below your construction. Overkill or just want to be sure ?
Not too many reviews on hearthnet about the new 2in1 Flexburns....yet.
Thx.