Hearth mount stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lastfling

Dec 14, 2021
NC
I’m looking at installing a wood stove in my lower level den and have a few (read that as many) questions.

First is my fireplace is 40” wide x 25” tall (to the lintel). It is 26” deep at the base tapering to 23” at top. The sides (width) taper from the previous mentioned 40” to 31” at the back being approx 36” midway. The hearth is 16” brick and is raised 17” from floor. The room floor is ceramic tile over concrete slab.

In looking at various stoves the Hearthstone Homestead appears it would work. Am I right in this assumption? Are there any other stove options? I like the looks of soapstone, but in looking at other makers I didn’t see any that worked with lintel height.

A liner will also need to be installed that is offset
In the chimney. There are 3 flues - 1 in center that feeds upstairs fireplace and one 8x8 on either side of this that feed to the downstairs fireplace. Previously there was a steel plate slammer in the downstairs that has been gone several years now.

There’s approx 1000 sq ft finished space downstairs with central stairs to foyer then up another set to upstairs living space.

Thanks for suggestions

I’m looking at installing a wood stove in my lower level den and have a few (read that as many) questions.

First is my fireplace is 40” wide x 25” tall (to the lintel). It is 26” deep at the base tapering to 23” at top. The sides (width) taper from the previous mentioned 40” to 31” at the back being approx 36” midway. The hearth is 16” brick and is raised 17” from floor. The room floor is ceramic tile over concrete slab.

In looking at various stoves the Hearthstone Homestead appears it would work. Am I right in this assumption? Are there any other stove options? I like the looks of soapstone, but in looking at other makers I didn’t see any that worked with lintel height.

A liner will also need to be installed that is offset
In the chimney. There are 3 flues - 1 in center that feeds upstairs fireplace and one 8x8 on either side of this that feed to the downstairs fireplace. Previously there was a steel plate slammer in the downstairs that has been gone several years now.

There’s approx 1000 sq ft finished space downstairs with central stairs to foyer then up another set to upstairs living space.

Thanks for suggestions
At 26” high I would seriously consider an insert. But if I’m under you correctly the downstairs fireplace has two 8x8” tile flues. To fit an insulated liner one of the flues tiles will need to be broken Out. Now you have to connect to an off center liner. I’m sure its been done before but will complicate the install a bit. None of my choices for a hearth mounted stove will fit.

At 26” high I would seriously consider an insert. But if I’m under you correctly the downstairs fireplace has two 8x8” tile flues. To fit an insulated liner one of the flues tiles will need to be broken Out. Now you have to connect to an off center liner. I’m sure its been done before but will complicate the install a bit. None of my choices for a hearth mounted stove will fit.
I’m not sure I’m following you. The lintel height is 25” - the fireplace is 26” deep from front to back. Per specs in Hearthstone catalogue the Homestead is 25 1/2” high using the short leg and 13” deep. The 13” would allow it to fit on my 16” hearth. A rear exit shows flue connection at a max 21 1/2” which would seem to allow this portion to fit under the lintel into the fireplace by about 6 1/4” for connection to pipe.

The offset as shown in picture would seem to be the difficult part. I need to get on roof and measure the height and exact tile diameter to be sure what I have.

Is it still available?

1/2” is just really tight.

You may be right. I had picked up a catalog from local dealer with this model in it. Might be an old catalogue - bummer….

Yes, the Homestead is no longer sold. There are some stoves that can work with this lintel height. Look at Woodstock's offerings.

Yes, the Homestead is no longer sold. There are some stoves that can work with this lintel height. Look at Woodstock's offerings.
Thanks for the information. Which Woodstock models would you be referring to? Maybe ‘m looking at it wrong, but my 16” deep raised hearth and the 25” lentil height appear to short for the height and depth of any models I’ve seen.
Leg height seems to do me in lol

Is the hearth all brick or brick over framing? If it's solid masonry I'm wondering if you need the legs for the Fireview. Call them up and ask if the legs can be left off the Fireview. If not, your best bet would be an insert. The surround can be left off on some if that is the preferred look.

Last edited: