Hearth-mounted stoves; How do you clean chimneys from the bottom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Russn77

Jan 20, 2021
North Central Ohio

With narrow hearths, how are y'all cleaning your chimneys from the bottom if you're stove is blocking access to the tee?
Our current stove we move down the hearth with a car jack. But the newer stoves have combustion compartments and deeper boxes so they'll recess into the fireboxes some. I was planning on buying a sooteater and running it through the stove and tee then up the chimney liner that way, but have been told that the soot eater rods aren't capable of that bend. Getting on the roof isn't an option for me. Thanks for any input.

With narrow hearths, how are y'all cleaning your chimneys from the bottom if you're stove is blocking access to the tee?
Our current stove we move down the hearth with a car jack. But the newer stoves have combustion compartments and deeper boxes so they'll recess into the fireboxes some. I was planning on buying a sooteater and running it through the stove and tee then up the chimney liner that way, but have been told that the soot eater rods aren't capable of that bend. Getting on the roof isn't an option for me. Thanks for any input.
It can make the 90 of the tee if the stove gives you good access. The 2 you asked about do not

Reactions: Russn77
Our regency has a single wall 90deg to the exterior wall. Then outside there a T clean out and straight up 22 ft. I clean from the T up which is easy. In side I take the black single wall pipe off and laid it in the yard and clean it separate. Super easy. Takes only a few mins and no dust in the house. I tried from the stove door up and I had really force the rods and it made a mess of the hearth and house with ash and dust.

Our regency has a single wall 90deg to the exterior wall. Then outside there a T clean out and straight up 22 ft. I clean from the T up which is easy. In side I take the black single wall pipe off and laid it in the yard and clean it separate. Super easy. Takes only a few mins and no dust in the house. I tried from the stove door up and I had really force the rods and it made a mess of the hearth and house with ash and dust.
They are talking about a completely different setup. They are putting a stove infront of a fireplace with a liner and tee with limited roof access. That means if they can't clean through the stove they need to move the stove every time which sucks.