Hearth pad for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
i will likely be buying a castle serenity pellet stove which will be on floor with laminate flooring. The manual is unclear about what kind of hearth pad to use. Not sure if I’m missing it, but thought I saw at one point that it just had to be non combustible. What do you all think?

Floor Protection Requirements
The stove must be installed on a noncombustible floor, with
proper floor protection, or on a masonry hearth. When a clean
out t-vent is installed in the inside of a home, the floor protector
must extend 2” beyond rear of t-vent. SEE FIGURE 1. When stove
is vented straight through the wall and the clean out t-vent is on
the exterior of the home, the minimum clearance is 2” from the
back of the stove to the wall. SEE FIGURE 2. The minimum floor
protector material is 24 GA sheet metal.
Figures 1 And 2: Pellet Stove Floor Pad Clearances
THIS STOVE SHOULD NOT BE USED AS THE
ONLY SOURCE OF HEAT IN THE HOUSE. POWER
OUTAGES AND PERIODIC MAINTENANCE WILL
RESULT IN A TOTAL LOSS OF HEAT.

From the manual

Floor Protection Requirements
The stove must be installed on a noncombustible floor, with
proper floor protection, or on a masonry hearth. When a clean
out t-vent is installed in the inside of a home, the floor protector
must extend 2” beyond rear of t-vent. SEE FIGURE 1. When stove
is vented straight through the wall and the clean out t-vent is on
the exterior of the home, the minimum clearance is 2” from the
back of the stove to the wall. SEE FIGURE 2. The minimum floor
protector material is 24 GA sheet metal.
Figures 1 And 2: Pellet Stove Floor Pad Clearances
THIS STOVE SHOULD NOT BE USED AS THE
ONLY SOURCE OF HEAT IN THE HOUSE. POWER
OUTAGES AND PERIODIC MAINTENANCE WILL
RESULT IN A TOTAL LOSS OF HEAT.

From the manual

The thing is is that the manual does not define what “proper floor protection” is if using a hearth pad of some sort-aside from using 24 ga sheet metal.

Yeah unfortunately most all stove manuals are vague in explaining it so you are kinda of on your own to do some research and use common sense.

I made base with 2X4s followed by 3\4 inch plywood then cement board followed by tile on top. I made size 4 by 4. My reasons were I didn't need to cut tile, Then when cleaning I can open the door and contain any spillage of ashes on the hearth pad and lastly it is easy to step up to fill the hopper. You can add trim on sides and corners to pretty it up as you like.

Is there any specific thickness or k-value required for pellet stoves?

Is there any specific thickness or k-value required for pellet stoves?
I've watched people build their own plus of course you have U Tube . Reading the manual for Bixby stoves it says a non combustible material or metal floor protector be used. All stoves are different regarding design so some will be hotter on the bottom then others so read your manual.
The hearth pad can add a lot to the appearance of your stove so it just depends on the owners ideas. I have seen the tile or grout crack because the plywood was to thin or not enough support was used under it. I worked with a dealer who built and sold hearth pads as a sideline to selling stoves and they aren't that hard to build.
Having said that you could go to a box store and buy the cheap utility type and get by with it