Hearth pad necessary for new Morso 5660 B Fireplace insert? Blower vs no blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jessjake

Oct 12, 2022
Boston, MA
Hi there,

I'm trying to have a Morso 5660 B fireplace insert installed into our midcentury home.

The company selling me the unit says to meet code I will need to use a very thick hearth pad (1" tall) that will extend out into the walkway of our living room. I'm wondering if this is a real safety concern or whether our existing hearth would suffice. It would be a deal breaker as we have a child with some mobility challenges and this would likely be a constant tripping spot for them not to mention constant stubbed toes for all. At present the slate hearth extends out 18" and the firebox currently sits about 8" above the slate hearth, although to get the Morso stove with the blower, we need to remove the bottom course of bricks so it would sit closer to the floor.

Additional question is that we have a ceiling fan that we are installing pretty much above this fireplace in the center of our large open concept room. This is a secondary heat source for us as this room is always pretty cold due to keeping all of the original Hope steel framed windows. They are single pane with an interior storm, but during really cold New England winters, we actually get some ice forming on the inside of the pane. However, we're not there all day every day and so wood burning could never be our primary source. Wondering whether a blower is redundant if we have a good ceiling fan running above it? I know the Morso is good at convective heat and has the fins that almost act as a blower....but would appreciate any advice, particularly from folks who have used one with or without a blower!

Thanks to all

IMG_1576.jpg Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.30.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.30.02 PM.png

Is the current fireplace gas or wood? Is there a basement or crawlspace where the underside of the current hearth can be examined to ascertain its construction?

The 5660 always performed better with the blower. It's a small firebox.

Thanks begreen.
Yes this is the second story - the bottom floor is finished, but the chimney continues downstairs - we installed a gas fireplace there as it's mainly where kids hang out. Upstairs is currently just a wood fireplace. There are wood rafters underneath the stone hearth, likely sitting on top of it, but will ask my contractor to confirm.

There should be nothing under the hearth but masonry. These are often poured concrete but the contractor forgets to remove the form base. If there are joists underneath, then protection needs to be added to the hearth. If the goal is to keep it flush then an option would be to remove the top of the existing hearth to make room for a sandwich of insulation board and the new top.

Did you install the Morso? I have a very similar fireplace and looking to install a Morso 5660. Is this a peacock farm house? I haven’t had much luck finding a dealer that sells the 5660 in the area.