Hearth Pad Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CassTonkin

Jul 3, 2023
Saint-David, Quebec
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of replacing the Hearth Pad for our wood stove in our 1907 home. The previous owner used construction adhesive to stick ceramic tiles directly to the original hardwood floors until our stove, so needless to say, they were all cracked and broken and I was able to remove them with simply my fingers and no tools.....

This is our primary heat source in very chilly Quebec winters, so the pad needs to be a resilient as possible to hold up to our 1977 Vermont Castings Vigilant wood stove.

We replaced the beams under the floor with steel for added support to resolve the floor trampolining (the joys of an old house), and after much research I think I have a plan in place.

1. Securing 1/2" plywood to the original hardwood floor.
2. Securing 1/2" cement backer board to the plywood.
3. New ceramic tiles on top.

The issue I am faced with currently, is how to finish the edge/transition to the original floor. After the new tiles, this hearth pad will sit 2 inches higher than the original floor and I am unable to find a transition strip with this drastic of a difference. Any suggestions on how to finish this edge nicely and safely? Ideally not with tiles, as I am a VERY novice handywoman and would like to avoid cutting tiles if I have to (the Hearth Pad is a perfect square, so no cuts needed for 12x12 tiles).

Open to any suggestions!

Cheers,

Reactions: Wood Rat
Does the Vigilant have the bottom heat shield installed? If not, consider a double-layer of 1/2" cement board for more peace of mind. The hearth needs to be at least as large as the manual requires - 53" wide and 48" deep.

The edges can be trimmed with a wood frame, or with a 2" tile border.

Reactions: Wood Rat
Does the Vigilant have the bottom heat shield installed? If not, consider a double-layer of 1/2" cement board for more peace of mind. The hearth needs to be at least as large as the manual requires - 53" wide and 48" deep.

The edges can be trimmed with a wood frame, or with a 2" tile border.
It does have the bottom heat shield installed which is great, so I was hoping the plywood and cement board with tile should be sufficient.

The current size is about 61" by 63". I'd love to make it a little smaller but the hardwood is terribly damaged from the construction adhesive and it's not in the cards to refinish the flooring in the house at the moment.

Wood trim is an excellent idea, I thought of that too. Would it be considered safe as it's far enough away from the actual stove?

With the bottom heat shield, in place, your plan is fine. The wood framing trim will be ok at that distance.