Hearth Pad shock!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I helped a buddy of mine build a hearth. We used a old sheet of 1/4" diamond plate, wrapped the edge with 1/2" rod iron and painted it flat black. Made a nice hearth. I like it better than my tile hearth. this is my PC45 notice the baby guard I made to keep my baby away

Attachments

• stove.JPG
    stove.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,786
That looks real good!
I like the rod iron and kettle. Will have to get our kettle out of storage.
Good to put moisture into the air.
We bought a "Fence" for our babies(See below) at a pet store.
Hopefully we will remove it shortly.
Not as nice looking as your setup.

Can you remove it easily to do maintenance ect?

Attachments

• dogs5.jpg
    dogs5.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,447
Last year... I put a fireplace in and what I ended up using to meet the K value was Micore board. Here is a link to that post with the info as this might help with ideas and design. The Micore board is easy to work with and if you put that under the backerboad / Durok you should meet the K value easily.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14069/

lessoil said:
That looks real good!
I like the rod iron and kettle. Will have to get our kettle out of storage.
Good to put moisture into the air.
We bought a "Fence" for our babies(See below) at a pet store.
Hopefully we will remove it shortly.
Not as nice looking as your setup.

Can you remove it easily to do maintenance ect?

The top rail is like channel iron upside down and it straddles two l brackets attached to the walls

i you have time and skill resources make one i am into mine 100.00 - 125.00 max 1/2 plymood and cement board from homedepot along with cheep tiles. some 1 1/4" steel angle. prices are kinda pround buying one premade imho

Just had my Mt. Vernon delivered Sept. 5 I built the hearth pad myself. I saw the prices for the pre-fabs and got quite a shock. around 400.00 in my area. I thought I would give it a try. Here is what I came up with. Here are a few pics of the progression of the pad and the new stove.
IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

Very Nice!!
The color blends well with the stove!

My Buddy is still waiting for his Mt. Vernon.
He ordered his in May.
What dealer did you go through?

Thanks!

Looks real nice good job,
Hearth mark up's are unreal and if anyone can find a good deal for one of the materials sold in the hearth stores at a provider of brick, stone, and masonry supplies in your local area good for you there are always left over remnants of counter tops and custom installs.

Great job! Mine is still a work in progress. Just need to lay the tiles, and of course put a stove on it when it comes in. Hope mine looks as good as yours. I'll post when complete, even if the stove is missing from the picture. Happy burning!

I have a question. I guess code requires my pellet stove in my double wide mobile home to be bolted to the floor. I haven't picked my stove up yet and I was wondering if there are provisions on the stove to bolt it down? It's a Kozy Heat woodland. Normally I wouldn't care but if I decide to sell my house, I don't want some picky home inspector to ding me on that. I'm also in the beginning stages of my hearth. I already cut a hole in my carpet so that is motivating me to get it finished. It's a corner hearth. I'm planning on a thin baseboard border stained to match the panelling and chair rail. Then I plan on building the hearth up to the height of the baseboard 3-1/4" with the top 2 layers being the non combustible under some Pennsylvania bluestone that I'm having cut into tile like pieces and grouted. The hearth will have the natural look of the shale. I'm hoping it will be fairly level.

Firenutz said:
I have a question. I guess code requires my pellet stove in my double wide mobile home to be bolted to the floor. I haven't picked my stove up yet and I was wondering if there are provisions on the stove to bolt it down?
That's probably a "fabricate on location" item :) Shorthand for "not our problem, figure it out for yourself". Seriously, you can fashion what works for your location. Typically you run bolts through the feet into the floor.

You also need to electrically ground it to the frame of the mobile home. And, while you're at it, you have to screen in the vent pipe (less than 3/4" openings) up to 7' off the ground if you do a horizontal vent.

Firenutz said:
I have a question. I guess code requires my pellet stove in my double wide mobile home to be bolted to the floor. I haven't picked my stove up yet and I was wondering if there are provisions on the stove to bolt it down?

Bolt it using the same holes that attach the pallet to the stove for shipping.

Lowes has a very simple fireproof hearthpad for like 30-50 dollars in 2 different sizes made especially for pellet stoves. They are just thin fireproof material. I plan on building something myself but this would be the super cheap/lazy way to go. I cannot find it on their website, but they had them at the store near the venting supplies.

xpellet freakx said:
i hear they warp and curl

I used one for 3 seasons and had no trouble. I would suggest that a user put a little more towards the front tho to protect floor or carpet during cleaning. Just put down a tile hearth this summer.

pelletguy said:
Just had my Mt. Vernon delivered Sept. 5 I built the hearth pad myself. I saw the prices for the pre-fabs and got quite a shock. around 400.00 in my area. I thought I would give it a try. Here is what I came up with. Here are a few pics of the progression of the pad and the new stove.

IMG_5483.jpg

What are the dimensions of this? I am installing a Quadrafire MtV and I need to build a hearth.

I just received my Quadrafire Santa Fe today. I too looked at the hearth pads that you can buy. Way too expensive. I went to Lowes in Portland. I looked at their tileslooksthey had in the store. Their selection wasn't very good. I ended up ordering tile that looks like Mica. It cost me $143 just for the tiles. I bought a 48 x 48 3/4 plywood, 1/2 cement board and box of black tile,because the 1 box of the mica wasn't enough to cover the whole pad. So I will make a pattern. This will cost me about $250 anyways for the pad. It will look awesome and be worth it.

For those of you worried about having to get a tile saw to cut your tiles. My father bought his tile from Lowes and they cut them for him right in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.