hearth pad/stove clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jumby181

Jan 21, 2009
VA
kent tile fire install. gettting paperwork together to submit for permit. Doing a corner install and have to make a hearth pad. Thanks to everyone here I have the materials for that figured. now I'm working on the dimensions of it. the ul plate on the back gives measurements. can I still safely use these? read somewhere about ul listings expiring. I have gathered that the front should be 18" not the 16" that it says. Should I use the clearances for an older unlisted stove of 18" all around? Here is a pic of the clearances. The lower one is what I'm trying to go by. I guess my big concern is the back corner clearances. Giving 18" on the sides gives me some room to stack wood and something big enough to be able to replace the stove one day without worry about the hearth I guess.

kent4.jpg

Looks good, there's no harm in being a little generous with the hearth size. It will show the inspector that you are erring on the side of caution and it will give you more options if you replace the stove in the future.

Keep us posted as things progress. And please take pictures, especially once it's up and running. These were nice stoves.

mostly concerned with the back corners. if I have to go further than those 12" than the pad is going to be HUGE to get that 18" in front. the stove is nearly new, know the people I got it from, maybe a dozen fires its entire life. thanks for the reassurance!

It's a double-walled stove. I think you'll be fine following the back clearances provided by the manufacturer. Adding a couple inches in front of the glass never hurts. That's where all the activity takes place. Some wood species throw a lot of sparks out when igniting or stirred.

Status
Not open for further replies.