Hearth Pad Worries with my P61A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there are two bolt holes which are uses to secure the Accentra to the shipping pallet. You will see these holes, or the head of two bolts (either or) if you remove the ash pan and look right at the floor of the stove.....right about in the middle of the base plate of the stove
OK thanks, I will check that out tonight when I get home. The reason they are needed is because of heat, or are those the bolts used to fasten stove to floor in mobile home installations?

My Avalon Astoria manual states:

Floor Protection Requirements
• The heater must be installed on a non-combustible floor protector extending the full width
and depth of the heater and extending 6" in front (minimum 27-3/4" wide by 31" deep)
(minimum .018" thick - 26 gauge) .
• Must extend under and 2" to each side and rear of a "Tee" (if used).

Smokey you are correct in what your Sarnac manual states!
Page 15 Step 2 see > > http://www.hudsonriverstoves.com/pdf/saranac.pdf

2. Install a non-combustible hearth pad underneath the unit. This pad should extend
at least 6” (152 mm) in front of the unit.

Don, the manual I consulted was the one for Mike's stove.

Most (but not all) of the pedestal stoves result in a very low temperature at the hearth pad. The requirement will depend upon the construction of the stove in the area below the burn pot and ash pan.

As always, overkill in this area is a good thing.

It is sort of like building a deck, if you aren't sure of the load bearing capacity of the ground your posts are siting on use 1000 lbs/square foot, when doing the calculations that way you are safe.

I built a deck this summer, the deck is rated for close to 20 ton, the weakest point in the design is the ground the footings are sitting on.

OK thanks, I will check that out tonight when I get home. The reason they are needed is because of heat, or are those the bolts used to fasten stove to floor in mobile home installations?

they are holes used to attach the stove to the pallet for shipping- they can be top-heavy.....technically, the stove shouldnt feed with them out, as the vacuum would be compromised, buuuuut, dues to the ashpan, might not be the case (yea, Ive seen them seed with them out!).....I guess you could use these holes to fasten the unit to the floor as specified in a mobile home install, but no, they arent there for that....

they are holes used to attach the stove to the pallet for shipping- they can be top-heavy.....technically, the stove shouldnt feed with them out, as the vacuum would be compromised, buuuuut, dues to the ashpan, might not be the case (yea, Ive seen them seed with them out!).....I guess you could use these holes to fasten the unit to the floor as specified in a mobile home install, but no, they arent there for that....
Yea i checked the install manual and saw that it says to install the bolts, I will check to see if they are there tonight.

A k-factor of 2.24 equals an R value of 0.446. What does the hearth pad say? Sounds like they want a thermal protection board not just the ember protection.

I didn't see the info on the pad as the installers brought it with them. However, I did call the dealer and ask if I was supplied with the ember protection pad or the thermal protection as is specified in the manual. I was told it is the thermal pad. To which I say Good since the pad got quite warm during the initial cure at 90 degrees for 90 minutes!

Yea i checked the install manual and saw that it says to install the bolts, I will check to see if they are there tonight.
I looked last night and my installer had installed the bolts in the floor.

I didn't see the info on the pad as the installers brought it with them. However, I did call the dealer and ask if I was supplied with the ember protection pad or the thermal protection as is specified in the manual. I was told it is the thermal pad. To which I say Good since the pad got quite warm during the initial cure at 90 degrees for 90 minutes!
My pad has a sticker on one of the sides. Might want to check yours out again. Seems like the installers should not have removed that sticker.

My pad has a sticker on one of the sides. Might want to check yours out again. Seems like the installers should not have removed that sticker.

The pad I have is Thermal Protection with an R value of 1.1:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.