Hearthstone gm80 top temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jones93

Nov 22, 2020
Wisconsin
No where can I find anything about stove top temp. Only the catalytic temp, which I understand is more important as far as running the stove. But I’d like to know the safe range for stove top temp

No where can I find anything about stove top temp. Only the catalytic temp, which I understand is more important as far as running the stove. But I’d like to know the safe range for stove top temp
I believe anything up to 700 F is considered ok. Reading the manual it seems like sustained high temperature fires are the main concern, so an assumption is that short duration spikes above 700 F may not result in damage.

I have the hearthstone shelburne. I also found it interesting they didn't include anything about stove top temperatures in the manual. Maybe its a CYA move on their part

In general terms it is safe to operate the stove up to around 750º measured on the stove top. Normal operating range will be about 400-700º. The stovetop may get hotter directly over the cat, so put the stovetop thermometer to the left or right of the flue outlet.

Reactions: Jones93
In general terms it is safe to operate the stove up to around 750º measured on the stove top. Normal operating range will be about 400-700º. The stovetop may get hotter directly over the cat, so put the stovetop thermometer to the left or right of the flue outlet.
Yep that’s how I have it just in front we normally cruise at about 6-650 before bed then shut it down lower. Almost all the way down with the cat engaged. Really like the stove. At 600 you can’t even stand in front of the glass I just wanted to make sure 600 was ok

Sounds good. Out of curiosity, how tall is the flue system on the stove?

Reactions: Rob_Red
Pretty tall old Wisconsin farm house it’s gotta be all of 25-30’. Takes awhile to get draw established sometimes but once you have it, she rips hard
I reached out to hearthstone and their response for my stove (Shelburne) was to not exceed sustained fires above 600*F. This seems low and conservative to me. I've reached back out asking where they suggest to take the temperature and what components of the stove dictate this 600*F limit. - again might just be CYA on their part

I reached out to hearthstone and their response for my stove (Shelburne) was to not exceed sustained fires above 600*F. This seems low and conservative to me. I've reached back out asking where they suggest to take the temperature and what components of the stove dictate this 600*F limit. - again might just be CYA on their part
Good to ask. 600º was the recommended limit for their soapstone stoves, but it's often hard to stay below that with a cast iron stove. Therefore the location where the temp is taken is important.

Wow I exceed this regularly (just by a little) with my GM40 and have seen zero issues
yes, that was my reaction
Good to ask. 600º was the recommended limit for their soapstone stoves, but it's often hard to stay below that with a cast iron stove. Therefore the location where the temp is taken is important.
Do you know where temperature was supposed to be taken on the soapstone line (heritage, etc) ?

yes, that was my reaction

Do you know where temperature was supposed to be taken on the soapstone line (heritage, etc) ?
I actually reached out to Hearthstone three days ago asking for what the max temp is and where to take the temp on a Heritage 8024. So far I haven't gotten a response back. I only saw an e-mail link, didnt see a phone # to try?

I actually reached out to Hearthstone three days ago asking for what the max temp is and where to take the temp on a Heritage 8024. So far I haven't gotten a response back. I only saw an e-mail link, didnt see a phone # to try?
email and question submitting tool on their website garnered no response from them. I messaged them on facebook. It isn't an instant response but they've been replying within 24-36 hrs

email and question submitting tool on their website garnered no response from them. I messaged them on facebook. It isn't an instant response but they've been replying within 24-36 hrs
Soooo? Farcebook garners a reply that's quicker than there listed contact routing. Amazing 🙄

My stove tickles 750 on big reloads fairly regularly but it's a steel non cat stove so it runs hotter and can take a little more punishment than cast iron. I regularly cruise between 650-725, I have a strong 24' chimney. I don't worry until it hits 800, which has only happened once very briefly and was my fault I got distracted before turning it down, SBI rates over fire at 840. I think hitting 700 is pretty common for modern steel tube stoves.