Hearthstone heritage 8024 cat. Daily wood usage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crash525

Apr 24, 2021
Niles michigian
Hello all. This is my first year burning a wood stove. We started the with a defective VC encore. And purchased a new hearthstone heritage 8024. We have a 1600sqft ranch with a basement. New construction this year and pretty tightly sealed. I would say I get to use the stove 5 days a week for most of the day. Located in southern Michigan about 20 miles from lake Michigan. From my estimate I've used 1 cord so far this year from Nov 15th to current Jan 31st.

I know this is a subjective and continually changing answer to this question. With people who have this stove or similar in stove. What do you used roughly for a daily usage? I attached a pic of what can last me 18 -24 hours before I need to restock my wood. It's mainly cherry with some oak. And the pieces average about 16 inch in length. It depends on the outside air temp and solar gain. To note the bottom square pieces are not used to burn they are there to prevent logs and debris from falling through the rack.

I have about half a cord left of seasoned wood. I have central heat/ air and use propane. Between Oct 21st and Jan 12th I used roughly 250 gal. I'm curious to know if this is a little or a lot of wood for a day. It's also been in the teens most of the winter. But it is very windy where I am at.

20220109_231659.jpg

Hello all. This is my first year burning a wood stove. We started the with a defective VC encore. And purchased a new hearthstone heritage 8024. We have a 1600sqft ranch with a basement. New construction this year and pretty tightly sealed. I would say I get to use the stove 5 days a week for most of the day. Located in southern Michigan about 20 miles from lake Michigan. From my estimate I've used 1 cord so far this year from Nov 15th to current Jan 31st.

I know this is a subjective and continually changing answer to this question. With people who have this stove or similar in stove. What do you used roughly for a daily usage? I attached a pic of what can last me 18 -24 hours before I need to restock my wood. It's mainly cherry with some oak. And the pieces average about 16 inch in length. It depends on the outside air temp and solar gain. To note the bottom square pieces are not used to burn they are there to prevent logs and debris from falling through the rack.

I have about half a cord left of seasoned wood. I have central heat/ air and use propane. Between Oct 21st and Jan 12th I used roughly 250 gal. I'm curious to know if this is a little or a lot of wood for a day. It's also been in the teens most of the winter. But it is very windy where I am at.

View attachment 291249
I would say that’s very similar to the amount I burn in 24 hours, that’s with a load at 6am, 4pm and 9pm which is my schedule during the work day. This leaves me enough coals for relighting each time.

If it’s really cold, like 10F, on the weekends I’ll burn more as I keep the temps up higher with more frequent reloading.

Fellow first year wood burner here! I think I have a similar setup - I've got a Woodstock Fireview, so also soapstone with a 2.1 cu ft firebox. I'd say that's a little more than I'd use in a day, but not by a lot - I've got around 1500 sq ft decently insulated, with similar temps (lows in the single digits, highs in the upper teens/low 20s), but it's not very windy here. I did do a more precise test about a month ago when it was a bit warmer - with an average outside temp of 25 degrees, I used 60 lbs of wood at 14 - 16% moisture spread across 3 fires per 24 hours (what, me, a data nerd? Never. Pay no attention to those spreadsheets.) - I tracked the weight since BTU/lb is pretty constant across species (just weight per volume is very different for hardwood vs softwood).

Reactions: Crash525
I burn about 40 lb per day for 100% heat of 1700 SF from 1963 in my cat stove.

Your splits look dinky. Mine are almost twice a big.

Reactions: Crash525
Fellow first year wood burner here! I think I have a similar setup - I've got a Woodstock Fireview, so also soapstone with a 2.1 cu ft firebox. I'd say that's a little more than I'd use in a day, but not by a lot - I've got around 1500 sq ft decently insulated, with similar temps (lows in the single digits, highs in the upper teens/low 20s), but it's not very windy here. I did do a more precise test about a month ago when it was a bit warmer - with an average outside temp of 25 degrees, I used 60 lbs of wood at 14 - 16% moisture spread across 3 fires per 24 hours (what, me, a data nerd? Never. Pay no attention to those spreadsheets.) - I tracked the weight since BTU/lb is pretty constant across species (just weight per volume is very different for hardwood vs softwood).
Wow that's quite impressive with the amount of work. I heard the Woodstock stove are super efficient. It's nice to know it's similar. I've never weighed it but if I'd have to guess it's probably around 60+ lbs. I think part of my downfall is that michigan building code requires an always on ceiling bathroom fan at 70cfm or something around that. I have to have a window cracked due to this. Thanks for the reply.

I would say that’s very similar to the amount I burn in 24 hours, that’s with a load at 6am, 4pm and 9pm which is my schedule during the work day. This leaves me enough coals for relighting each time.

If it’s really cold, like 10F, on the weekends I’ll burn more as I keep the temps up higher with more frequent reloading.
That seems really good.

I burn about 40 lb per day for 100% heat of 1700 SF from 1963 in my cat stove.

Your splits look dinky. Mine are almost twice a big.
I didn't split it. They seem big enough. For reference the bottom squares are 2.75 to 3.5in in size. Alot of the slipts do vary in size. I do have to say I am cautious of really loading the stove to the max because I don't want anything to fall over and crack the class. I can load it pretty good but there is usually room for another big piece or two smaller ones.

Reactions: Highbeam