Hearthstone Heritage Catalytic Converter Temp vs Stovetop Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gelochelidon

Oct 31, 2023
Tennessee, USA
Hi! I'm sure this has been asked before but couldn't find the right thread. Please feel free to point me there.

I'll run the heritage a day or two in cold weather, and eventually I'm working off of coals feeding it a log or two at a time, catalyst temp in the "Active" range. However, my stovestop stoneguard thermometer will read "low burn." When the cat is active and embers hot, I'll put on a few pieces or just one log at a time and burn it during the day like this. Should I trust the stoneguard thermometer here - should I be trying to hit that "optimal burn" part? (I'm thinking not...)

I normally position the stonguard in the middle of the stove. The cat thermometer is 0.25" out from touching the stove.

Here are two examples:
IMG-0379.jpeg

IMG-0399.jpeg

THANK YOU!

The ranges are not that appropriate in this case. Try moving the thermometer to over to on top of the cat on and see what it reads.

I think the Stone Guard is meant to placed in the center of the stone in front of the chimney. It'll read much cooler at any of the corners like where you have it.

Either way, the cat temp is more reliable than the Stone Guard because it's inside the firebox. Use the Stone Guard to make sure you don't overheat the stones, otherwise just run the stove based on the cat temp.

By the way, I'm convinced that 0.25" cat probe offset doesn't matter. They just mean the dial shouldn't be "too close to" or touching the stones, lest it skew the readings.