Hearthstone Heritage - chimney sweep says its very complex to deal with when cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kevk

Mar 30, 2024
Georgia
I'm leaning towards getting a Hearthstone Heritage for my new build. The stove will sit in the center of a living space with 18 1/2 foot ceilings; the roof pitch is steep at 14.75:12.

I read advice from a chimney sweep who said servicing Hearthstone & Vermont Castings is an absolute nightmare deal with due to the complexity of disassembling the secondary burn system. He gave an example of a customer who's stove vented into a fireplace that had a very steep roof pitch. She had to pay $800 for cleaning because it had to be done from the top of the stack - where typically he would've been able to clean it from inside the stove, up the stack.

Perhaps this doesn't apply to my situation because I'm not venting into a fireplace, it will be open pipe straight up the ceiling; just want to be sure I'm not getting myself into something I will regret. If it is relevant, would switching the vent from the top of the stove to the rear help? Has anyone vented from the rear in a free-standing application?

As an added bonus, wouldn't you gain access to a hot plate when venting from the rear of a Heritage?

Interested in hearing thoughts on the above. Thanks!

Can't disagree with the sweep. There are simpler designs that perform well.

I'm leaning towards getting a Hearthstone Heritage for my new build. The stove will sit in the center of a living space with 18 1/2 foot ceilings; the roof pitch is steep at 14.75:12.

I read advice from a chimney sweep who said servicing Hearthstone & Vermont Castings is an absolute nightmare deal with due to the complexity of disassembling the secondary burn system. He gave an example of a customer who's stove vented into a fireplace that had a very steep roof pitch. She had to pay $800 for cleaning because it had to be done from the top of the stack - where typically he would've been able to clean it from inside the stove, up the stack.

Perhaps this doesn't apply to my situation because I'm not venting into a fireplace, it will be open pipe straight up the ceiling; just want to be sure I'm not getting myself into something I will regret. If it is relevant, would switching the vent from the top of the stove to the rear help? Has anyone vented from the rear in a free-standing application?

As an added bonus, wouldn't you gain access to a hot plate when venting from the rear of a Heritage?

Interested in hearing thoughts on the above. Thanks!
you can clean a v Vermont castings just like the rest

You don’t always have to sweep up through the stove. Just install a slip pipe connector to the flue collar. Then you can disconnect it from the stove, slide it up enough to fit the chimney brush into the pipe and tape a trash bag around the pipe to catch all the soot as you sweep. You should also have access to the baffle and catalyst through your flue collar while it’s disconnected.

You don’t always have to sweep up through the stove. Just install a slip pipe connector to the flue collar. Then you can disconnect it from the stove, slide it up enough to fit the chimney brush into the pipe and tape a trash bag around the pipe to catch all the soot as you sweep. You should also have access to the baffle and catalyst through your flue collar while it’s disconnected.

Thank you!

you can clean a v Vermont castings just like the rest
Yes but vc stoves typically have much more complicated combustion systems in the back of the stove that need cleaned. We charge extra to service any down draft stoves because of this

Yes but vc stoves typically have much more complicated combustion systems in the back of the stove that need cleaned. We charge extra to service any down draft stoves because of this
What do you think about Blaze King stoves as far as ease of servicing?

What do you think about Blaze King stoves as far as ease of servicing?
They aren't bad. The only slightly annoying thing is needing gasket for the cat if you need to pull it. The bypass gasket is kind of a pain to do when needed as well. But that goes for pretty much any cat stove

Reactions: stoveliker
They aren't bad. The only slightly annoying thing is needing gasket for the cat if you need to pull it. The bypass gasket is kind of a pain to do when needed as well. But that goes for pretty much any cat stove
Thank you!

The frequency of cat removal may be for some once a year. At most. Some only take it out when it needs replacing.

The bypass gasket - I have no clue. Once a decade?

Reactions: bholler
It's not that frequent, and may vary by model, but I seem to recall it being more like 5 yrs. It depends on how much the stove is used. Could be wrong, though. @Highbeam, did you replace yours around then?

Reactions: stoveliker
It's not that frequent, and may vary by model, but I seem to recall it being more like 5 yrs. It depends on how much the stove is used. Could be wrong, though. @Highbeam, did you replace yours around then?
On the BK you never need to remove the cat until it’s time to be replaced unless you have a problematic install that clogs the cat with ash. They can get plugged tight that way.

New cats come with a new gasket and ceramics are less likely to clog than the silly fine steel cats.

It would be nice if BK used a reusable gasket for those folks that choose to remove their cat more often.

Bypass gasket is essentially a lifetime gasket. The seal need not be perfect and after the initial crush mine seems to have stopped getting smaller. Regency has a pretty cool design on at least one model that allows you to unbolt the whole bypass assembly to change this gasket easily or to replace melted parts.

Door gaskets are more of a concern than cat or bypass gaskets on a BK. Same as any stove on the door gaskets.

Thanks. That gives some context to the OP while he makes a decision on what brand and model stove he wants.