Hearthstone II Baffle question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clashmoore

Dec 26, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Hello,

In my new home we have what I believe is a Hearthstone II soapstone wood stove. We had a chimney sweep come out in the fall to clean and check everything for us and he said we are good to go.

First snow fall here in Buffalo so we have the stove running now - but I have a baffle operation question.

I don't know in what position the baffle control knob should be in to turn the baffle position to open or closed.

Reading the online manuals, they don't state either. The knob has a groove in it where the handle is inserted, should that groove be in the vertical or horizontal position for the baffle to be closed? Or some other direction entirely?

Thank you

IMG_4904.jpeg

@Kevlar_vw is quite familiar with the stove. He just rebuilt one.

I did find a thread where a user stated:

"Rotate the handle clockwise to open the air damper. Close the damper after about 15 minutes when the fire is burning robustly."

I feel the knob I can just continually rotate around and around - as I do so am I opening and closing the damper repeatedly or as I turn it counter-clockwise am I slowly closing it?

I think I can clear things up for you. The baffle is stationary, and does not move. The rotating handle is the damper. The travel is 1/4 of a turn-that's all. If it rotates a full 360 degrees, you need a new damper. When you rotate the damper handle counter clockwise, it is resting the damper on the baffle horizontally-or "closing the damper". Rotating the handle clockwise, brings the damper to the vertical position-or "opening the damper".

The damper is still available from a Hearthstone dealer.

Let me know if you have more questions...