Hearthstone Manchester 8360 getting no draw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northof45

Oct 20, 2022
Michigan
Hi everyone, new member here... I've just had the people who installed my stove out to try to figure out why it doesn't draw, and they can't. I turn to the wisdom of the internet!

I've had the stove for six years. Last winter, suddenly it just wasn't burning as well. Also noticed that when opening and closing the vent via the front bar, there's no difference in fire intensity. My guess is that something is clogged somewhere, but the service guys didn't know enough about the manchester's design to tell me where the vent channels are (I know it draws from underneath and in the rear, but unsure what I would try to snake to unclog it). We do have three dogs, so what I'm envisioning is a clump of charred dog hair sitting in the vent's channel.

Does anyone have any information about what would be a safe way to go about cleaning this vent without destroying the stove?

The issue is most likely with the flue output being obstructed. This could be because of soot accumulation at the flue collar or the baffle blanket may be bunched up toward the back of the stove. Another possibility is the flue cap screen is clogged, if there is a screen.

That said, have there been any major changes to the house sealing, windows, or insulation this year? If so, try opening a nearby window 1" to see if that makes a notable change.

Reactions: brian_in_idaho
Hi thanks for the reply... I've had the stove guys out twice. The chimney has been cleaned, the stove has been examined... everything is in order except it won't draw. No changes, and the house is an old farmhouse so it's the opposite of airtight-- but even so, we often open the windows in winter, with no improvements noted.

I'm FAIRLY sure that the vent's channels are clogged. But I can't find any information online about where those channels are, or what their diameter is. The square entrance to the vent was fairly densely packed with dog fur, so I just want to run a pipe cleaner through them to satisfy myself that this is or isn't the problem... any idea where I could find that info?

Are you referring to the square vent on the bottom where the OAK would go? I'd be tempted to try and find the air inlets to the stove box itself, and then blow compressed air through them and "backflush" them out that vent... If you found hair clogging that, then I would almost bet, like you, that the channels inside are clogged up.

Maybe this could be helpful?

Manchester-8360_R_09-02-14.png

It's remotely possible but very rare to see this unless mice have moved in and set up house in the stove's air intake. This could happen if the stove has an unscreened OAK.

Hello - I'm sure you have got your issue all cleared up by now, but if not, I just wanted to share my experience. We got a new Manchester 8362 and were getting a fantastic draw when the door was cracked or the ash pan open, but when they were closed the fire would completely die. I have used woodstoves for 5 decades. I was told by the seller that this was how these new stoves worked, but I felt that something was not right - moving the air control handle made absolutely no difference in the fire. Finally, my husband reached underneath the rear of the stove and pulled off a big piece of duct tape! Now the air control handle works! I still have to crack the door or the ash pan to start a fire, but once it is going, I can close the door and keep the air control open and all is good. The location of this slot is on the underside of the stove and is about the size of a couple of quarters and is impossible to see without a mirror/phone, but it is inside a bigger slot (1"x5") which has a Phillips head screw on each end and is quite easy to see. It is 4" in from the rear of the stove. I can definitely picture dog hair or the like cramming up this hole, so I will be keeping an eye on it myself :) So glad our problem was solved and hope yours is as well!

Hello - I'm sure you have got your issue all cleared up by now, but if not, I just wanted to share my experience. We got a new Manchester 8362 and were getting a fantastic draw when the door was cracked or the ash pan open, but when they were closed the fire would completely die. I have used woodstoves for 5 decades. I was told by the seller that this was how these new stoves worked, but I felt that something was not right - moving the air control handle made absolutely no difference in the fire. Finally, my husband reached underneath the rear of the stove and pulled off a big piece of duct tape! Now the air control handle works! I still have to crack the door or the ash pan to start a fire, but once it is going, I can close the door and keep the air control open and all is good. The location of this slot is on the underside of the stove and is about the size of a couple of quarters and is impossible to see without a mirror/phone, but it is inside a bigger slot (1"x5") which has a Phillips head screw on each end and is quite easy to see. It is 4" in from the rear of the stove. I can definitely picture dog hair or the like cramming up this hole, so I will be keeping an eye on it myself :) So glad our problem was solved and hope yours is as well!
Using the ash pan to start a fire is very risky. You can very easily crack the bottom of your stove that way I have seen it many times