Hearthstone Soapstone Model H1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonKoci

Aug 31, 2021
Vineland, NJ
I am trying to determine what to do with my Dad’s Hearthstone Model H1 soapstone stove. It’s gotta be over 36 years old. It has some cracks on the interior steel impact plates and Dad had rigged it to heat water so it has two water pipe inserts. It’s been sitting for about 6 years, when he replaced with a smaller new soapstone stove. Can anyone tell me the likely hood that this can be sold? Is there a market for a stove this large size that is made prior to the 1990s? They used it right up until he replaced it without issues. Any thoughts?

B168E31C-5579-4F44-B8DC-68EBE755C2B2.jpeg 1879C30E-D0D2-4EFF-9D1D-98BF756B5FF0.jpeg 2066C2B7-7776-4E8A-B964-97ABEC2B832D.jpeg

that stove looks like it's been overfired 1, 2, or 400 times. i didn't think it was possible to turn stone white. i think maybe you should speak with @Kevlar_vw about this one. he is the hearthsone expert here

Reactions: DonKoci
That's definitely a Hearthstone I. Some HI, and HII's had glazed stones. Glaze turns a hazy white when burnt (due to over-firing). The water coil was a factory option or HI's and HII's-and could also be retrofitted after the stove was used. The rust around the water pipes and trim suggests the water coil may have leaked at one point. All the plates inside are replaceable, so I wouldn't worry about that. The remaining question-is there a market for it. I would say yes. buying a new stove with the same heating capabilities will cost you $5k+. For $500-$700 you can replace everything inside, and have a beautiful vintage woodstove. Of course, that is just my opinion. Like everything in life, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Reactions: fbelec and begreen