Q&A Heat circulation difficulties....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a problem with heat circulation from my stove which is located in the bottom level of my split-level home. The heat seems to stop rising when it hits floor level in the stair well. I've tried placing fans in various places, but still have had no luck. Anyone have any ideas about creating more air flow? I don't really like the idea of cutting holes in the floor and installing vents.

Answer:

Air flow in a house can be quite complicated. In this case, what is happening is that the air in other parts of the house is falling...and this air flow is stopping the heat from coming up the steps. Two possible answers:
1. Install a vent somewhere away from the steps. This may help establish a "round trip" circulation.
2. If you have a hot air furnace, turn the fan on AND create a return duct opening in the basement. This will suck in the basement air and distribute it thru the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.