Heat Commander #100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prominion

Sep 25, 2020
Boswell, BC
I picked up my new HC Friday, unit #100...I think that is the easiest serial # I've ever had. It had a bit of a rough ride shipping (its a haul from La Guadeloupe Qc to beautiful downtown Boswell) but I was able to slide it gently off the trailer despite two badly busted up pallets...my sweetie cranked the come-along like a champ.
I read that another user had no issue hoisting it with the lifting eye...it does look a tad sketch... it only needs to come off the pallets then straight in to the shop so I should be good.
My ducting plan is pretty simple, I'm removing the electric forced air so I can use all the existing registers with new duct. House is 1300 ft main floor with 10' ceilings, Basement is pretty much wide open but there is no staircase, I have not committed to cold air return, but it would be fairly simple as well.
Question Re start offs on the plenum - the Drolet spec is pretty specific on using a minimum of 6 start offs, max 3 registers per run. My most efficient duct layout is 4 x 6" mains (112 in sq) with 9 x 4" (112 in sq) registers. Total end duct area will be equal to plenum start offs so is it critical I use 6 start offs? If so, then could I just do 2 short runs and damper the ends or do I need a minimum of 170 in sq of moving air?

John
Kootenay Lake Moose Pasture

20210228_120227.jpg

so is it critical I use 6 start offs?
Only if you want it to heat the house...and you want your warranty to remain in effect...you did just publicly admit to considering an improper install, complete with serial number...on a forum that SBI participates in ;) ;lol
If so, then could I just do 2 short runs and damper the ends or do I need a minimum of 170 in sq of moving air?
You need the 170 sq in minimum, or darn near that anyways. And FYI, if you do hook up the return air, it needs to be 10-20% larger than your supply...so somewheres 190-200 sq inches minimum.

Last edited:
I picked up my new HC Friday, unit #100...I think that is the easiest serial # I've ever had. It had a bit of a rough ride shipping (its a haul from La Guadeloupe Qc to beautiful downtown Boswell) but I was able to slide it gently off the trailer despite two badly busted up pallets...my sweetie cranked the come-along like a champ.
I read that another user had no issue hoisting it with the lifting eye...it does look a tad sketch... it only needs to come off the pallets then straight in to the shop so I should be good.
My ducting plan is pretty simple, I'm removing the electric forced air so I can use all the existing registers with new duct. House is 1300 ft main floor with 10' ceilings, Basement is pretty much wide open but there is no staircase, I have not committed to cold air return, but it would be fairly simple as well.
Question Re start offs on the plenum - the Drolet spec is pretty specific on using a minimum of 6 start offs, max 3 registers per run. My most efficient duct layout is 4 x 6" mains (112 in sq) with 9 x 4" (112 in sq) registers. Total end duct area will be equal to plenum start offs so is it critical I use 6 start offs? If so, then could I just do 2 short runs and damper the ends or do I need a minimum of 170 in sq of moving air?

John
Kootenay Lake Moose Pasture

Stick to the manual and the Heat Commander will work like a dream! Cutting any corners may lead to undesirable results and create more work in the long run.

Congrats on the new purchase! Post some photos of your install once you are finished.

Eric

Only if you want it to heat the house...and you want your warranty to remain in effect...you did just publicly admit to considering an improper install, complete with serial number...on a forum that SBI participates in ;) ;lol

You need the 170 sq in minimum, or darn near that anyways. And FYI, if you do hook up the return air, it needs to be 10-20% larger than your supply...so somewheres 190-200 sq inches minimum.

Heating the house efficiently, not dying in our sleep and staying on side with the good folk at SBI is definitely the objective :)
I'm lucky that my configuration lends itself to simplicity as I'm on a pretty tight budget...I hate paying contractors but I will use a qualified HVAC tech to insure I'm in spec and code (and yes I know that Nick is listening ;lol)

Stick to the manual and the Heat Commander will work like a dream! Cutting any corners may lead to undesirable results and create more work in the long run.

Congrats on the new purchase! Post some photos of your install once you are finished.

Eric
Thanks man, the Drolet spec is pretty clearly spelled out, this should be a smooth install and a big net benefit. I'll still be holding my breath when I hoist from that eye tho!

Thanks man, the Drolet spec is pretty clearly spelled out, this should be a smooth install and a big net benefit. I'll still be holding my breath when I hoist from that eye tho!
How wide is your doorway? I had to remove the reload button assembly to get it through my basement door.

Eric