Heat Commander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Suppwood

Feb 13, 2021
CT
Just plugged in heat commander for start of new burn season. Only used it last year for two months. It’s now dead. Green lights on control board are in but unit seems to not start up. Any ideas?

I'd call the SBI techline...

Reactions: Rockstar1346
Just plugged in heat commander for start of new burn season. Only used it last year for two months. It’s now dead. Green lights on control board are in but unit seems to not start up. Any ideas?
Called SBI today. They Asked for a photo of the control board. I hope it’s a quick fix.

Did you leave it plugged in all summer ?

Reactions: brenndatomu
Did you leave it plugged in all summer ?
Good point...I unplug in the summer...heck, we unplug the washer whenever its not running too...found out that our particular model doesn't deal well with power surges...had one circuit board go bad after I got it, priced new board, $200+, nope, found a forum that showed how to fix it for less than $5, (plus I have extra parts to fix it again if needed too) been fine ever since. (been unplugging ever since too though)

Reactions: sloeffle
Good point...I unplug in the summer...heck, we unplug the washer whenever its not running too...found out that our particular model doesn't deal well with power surges...had one circuit board go bad after I got it, priced new board, $200+, nope, found a forum that showed how to fix it for less than $5, (plus I have extra parts to fix it again if needed too) been fine ever since. (been unplugging ever since too though)
Same here. I unplug my wood furnace and MyPIN after I'm done with my spring cleaning.

Was unplugged all summer. Waiting to hear back from SBI. Called them yesterday.

Spoke to SBI they say they are sending a control board. No shipping dates yet. Service is …not what I would expect. No trouble shooting so far just tossing parts at the problem. It is under warranty. I hope they stand behind the product because this thing was aces last year even though I had a short season with it.

Oh boy...hope they have boards in stock...the whole rest of the world is waiting on chips as we know...

Have you tried resetting the board using reset button on the main board? I unplugged my HC last spring and it worked just fine after sitting unplugged for 6 months.

SBI has always been great to me with their support. I'm confident they will come up with a solution for you.

Eric

Have you tried resetting the board using reset button on the main board? I unplugged my HC last spring and it worked just fine after sitting unplugged for 6 months.

SBI has always been great to me with their support. I'm confident they will come up with a solution for you.

Eric
Reset button? I see two small buttons on board. I don’t know if they clear programming or reset the unit. Are those what you are describing. Temporarily installed old hot blast to take chill out. Haven’t got the new board yet.

Reset button? I see two small buttons on board. I don’t know if they clear programming or reset the unit. Are those what you are describing. Temporarily installed old hot blast to take chill out. Haven’t got the new board yet.
Yes there are 2 buttons on the board that are for sure used to load firmware. Reset is closest to the USB connector. I don't know if pressing reset would do anything, but at this point I can't imagine it would hurt anything either.

Eric

Yes there are 2 buttons on the board that are for sure used to load firmware. Reset is closest to the USB connector. I don't know if pressing reset would do anything, but at this point I can't imagine it would hurt anything either.

Eric
Worth a shot. No shipping from notification from SBI yet. Thanks

Update….new control board fixed issue. SBI sent board with no issues, no questions in warranty status. It’s back up and running. Not sure what caused it but all set now.

Update….new control board fixed issue. SBI sent board with no issues, no questions in warranty status. It’s back up and running. Not sure what caused it but all set now.
I assume they want the old board back? See why it failed n all...