Heat for the Boiler Room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
My Tarm Solo 30 took the place of a little woodstove I had keeping my daylight basement pool room cozy. This room is the foundation of an addition to the original house, and is at the far end from my oil burner, which is where my zones are. My storage is between the two, but closer to the oil furnace. I have one of those radiators with a fan for a zone mounted near the old furnace. While it throws a lot of heat, it doesn't make sense to expect it to heat my pool room without getting the rest of the cellar much warmer than necessary. I could move the contraption to my pool room, but I don't relish the thought of another 70' or so of pipe for the send and return.

Tarm has done a wonderful job of containing the heat the Solo 30 produces, but, ironically, I find myself looking to heat the room it's in. Are there any common solutions I should be aware of?

Don't know if this makes sense for you, but for me it did. My storage is in the heated space. I have removable insulation panels around the insulation. I remove some to provide heat for the space, more or less depending on the need for heat.

I've got a innova 30 in my unattached garage, just installed. insulated room inside an insulated garage, the garage has quite a few air leaks, but the room is fairly tight.
I'm firing the innova (with storage located in house) once, sometime 2 times a day. Room seems to hold the heat ok, going to improve the tightness of the room, but will have to install a motorized damper to let make up air. Sorry a little of subject.
Haven't got a thermometer in the room but it gets maybe 35/40 and it was -18 below out with a wind. But my water temp in lines hasn't been any colder than 80 degrees. But i plan on putting a back up electric heat that I will be able to keep at 35/40 degrees.

I was surprised by that too - how little heat is given off by my tarm - I am actually going to add a baseboard loop that I can use when I need it. I didn't predict I would need to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.