Heat & Glo J-box (junction box) multiple failures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Island_Dan

Jan 22, 2022
Connecticut
I have a Heat n Glo model 6000GLX-IPI-S with a wall mounted control unit WSK300-HNG. The control Module underneath the unit plugs into a J-Box (a junction box) using a standard 3 prong outlet. Everything had been working, then suddenly the wall control unit stopped working and the lights on the unit didn't work suggesting lack of power. Inserting batteries into the holder underneath the unit allowed the flame to come on and the room heats up. So the J-Box was replaced, and before the Control Module was plugged in I tested J-Box with a GFCI tester and also a table lamp, all good so far. Plugged in the control module and walked over to wall mounted control, and it didn't work. Retested J-Box with GFCI and lamp, and the J-Box was blown. I've ordered a 3rd J-Box. But what is blowing out the J-Boxes???

I have a Heat n Glo model 6000GLX-IPI-S with a wall mounted control unit WSK300-HNG. The control Module underneath the unit plugs into a J-Box (a junction box) using a standard 3 prong outlet. Everything had been working, then suddenly the wall control unit stopped working and the lights on the unit didn't work suggesting lack of power. Inserting batteries into the holder underneath the unit allowed the flame to come on and the room heats up. So the J-Box was replaced, and before the Control Module was plugged in I tested J-Box with a GFCI tester and also a table lamp, all good so far. Plugged in the control module and walked over to wall mounted control, and it didn't work. Retested J-Box with GFCI and lamp, and the J-Box was blown. I've ordered a 3rd J-Box. But what is blowing out the J-Boxes???
are you testing the correct outlet on the junction box? Two of the outlets are "hot" and the one marked "Fan" only gets power when jumper wires are connected to the two spades below the outlet.

I tested all 3 outlets on the junction box, none work when they used to. This is second j-box. Thank you about "Fan" outlet, I didn't know that. I've attached 2 photos that I just took this morning, showing GFCI tester in J-box, and showing GFCI in other outlet showing that GFCI tester works. I should also say that the circuit breaker is not tripped, so electrical wires are hot on the "house side" of J-box. What might be causing the controle Module to be shorting out the J-boxes?

JBox_test_fail.jpg Test_works.jpg

I tested all 3 outlets on the junction box, none work when they used to. This is second j-box. Thank you about "Fan" outlet, I didn't know that. I've attached 2 photos that I just took this morning, showing GFCI tester in J-box, and showing GFCI in other outlet showing that GFCI tester works. I should also say that the circuit breaker is not tripped, so electrical wires are hot on the "house side" of J-box. What might be causing the controle Module to be shorting out the J-boxes?

View attachment 290513 View attachment 290514
I don't think that the control module has anything to do with it. The control module only draws 6 volts through the 6 volt transformer that plugs into the power strip.
I have only seen a couple of the power strips be faulty, out of thousands that I have installed. Are you sure that the wires are connected correctly at the power strip? (white to white, black to black, and the ground attached to the ground screw)

I don't think that the control module has anything to do with it. The control module only draws 6 volts through the 6 volt transformer that plugs into the power strip.
I have only seen a couple of the power strips be faulty, out of thousands that I have installed. Are you sure that the wires are connected correctly at the power strip? (white to white, black to black, and the ground attached to the ground screw)
Hi Lennox65, thank you for your comment. It caused me to dig back into this and look at the wiring from the J-Box to the house wiring. All looked good. I took out my electric current tester and making sure the circuit breaker was on, tested. It seems there is an issue on the "house" side of the J-Box. The electric is intermittent! I didn't think that was possible, and am getting an electrician in ASAP. As a secondary test, I got out a heavy duty extension cord for a quick test ... and plugged the WSK300 3 pronged outlet into it, and the power went on to the Wall Control, and no GFI was tripped and no circuit breaker tripped. I quickly unplugged the heavy duty extension cord. I'll update this thread as to what happens. Thank you again Lennox65.

Reactions: Lennox65
Hi Lennox65, thank you again for your comment. A GFI outlet on outside of house was fixed, and that solved the problem. Attached are photos of electrical tester, and of working fireplace. It was not the J-Box. (I now have 2 spare J-Boxes!) I am actually very glad it was not the J-Boxes. Many thanks!

J-Box_test_works.jpg Heat_Glo+working.jpg

Reactions: Lennox65