Heat N Glo 6000 XLT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

showoff

Nov 10, 2014
MI
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a home with a Heat N Glo 6000 XLT gas fire place with a fan. I don't have much experience with gas fire places, and this unit has me a little confused.

I can turn on the standing pilot very easily and turn the gas on high. The unit burns fine for 10-15 minutes then the fire goes out and the pilot too. The fan turns on a few minutes after ignition and shuts off several minutes after the flame has gone out. This leads me to believe this system has some sort of timer, but I don't see any adjustments for it. There is a clicking noise when the flame goes out and the fan turns off too. There is a wall switch that currently does nothing.

Most fire places leave the pilot lit for future use, but this one goes complete out.

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a home with a Heat N Glo 6000 XLT gas fire place with a fan. I don't have much experience with gas fire places, and this unit has me a little confused.

I can turn on the standing pilot very easily and turn the gas on high. The unit burns fine for 10-15 minutes then the fire goes out and the pilot too. The fan turns on a few minutes after ignition and shuts off several minutes after the flame has gone out. This leads me to believe this system has some sort of timer, but I don't see any adjustments for it. There is a clicking noise when the flame goes out and the fan turns off too. There is a wall switch that currently does nothing.

Most fire places leave the pilot lit for future use, but this one goes complete out.

Firstly, welcome to hearth.com!
Now let's see if we can diagnose your problem & answer your questions.
What do the flames look like before they go out? Do they start to lift off the burner & turn "ghostly" & blue in color?
If so, you may have a blockage in the venting system.
If the house was unoccupied during the "for sale" period, bees may have gotten into the cap & built a hive.
You can confirm this by removing the glass front & lighting the unit. If it stays lit for a longer period of time, then the problem is probably in the intake side of the vent.
***WARNING*** Do NOT burn with the front removed for longer than it takes to perform this test*** Carbon Monoxide is a by-product of gas combustion*** It is colorless odorless & a silent killer***
The blower is on a thermal switch (aka Thermodisk). It is designed to close & allow power to flow after the box heats up.
This prevents the blower from moving cold air. Once the firebox cools, the thermodisk does too, & it opens to cut the power.
So, check your venting for starters, & let us know how you made out.

Status
Not open for further replies.