Heat n Glo model SL-750TR-IPI-E won't turn on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hootamunk

Nov 17, 2022
Seattle
Hi all, we've had an extremely reliable Heat n Glo model SL-750TR-IPI-E fireplace in our "new build" (now 14 years old). Well last night our fireplace flame kept turning off intermittently...and today after starting up just fine the unit turned off again after 10 seconds and has "died". Can't hear the igniter/pilot attempting to turn on at all when we flip the switch.

Since it is an older unit now, is it possible it needs some sort of new component like a new igniter? Or some electrical part needs replacing? Or could it just need a good cleaning? Just trying to figure out if there's any easy DIY stuff I can do to not only save $$ but time, no idea when we could get a technician out here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20221117_164929.jpg 20221117_165007.jpg

Please take pictures that show what components are in the valve cavity, & what the pilot assembly looks like without the log set in the firebox. Post them here so we can help you resolve the issue.

Reactions: Hootamunk
I am having a similar problem on my SL-750TR-IPI-D. The system kept chugging, so I replaced the pilot assembly and the dexen GM-6KA module. Worked great for about 3 hours, then I heard an audible pop and now it is doing the chugging thing again everytime the system warms up

20221118_142342.jpg 20221110_140112.jpg 20221110_140224.jpg

Replaced the qhole pilot assembly. Cleaned the burners, checked all the connections tight (I have a background in hydro/mech systems, including O2 gen and other systems involving conrrols) controls. There isnt a good trouble shooting guide for this. I have a serial number that should be a post 210. However the parts mat h yhe pre 210 parts.... My next step would be to replace the valve, but I dont want to do that if ai don't need too....

Replaced the qhole pilot assembly. Cleaned the burners, checked all the connections tight (I have a background in hydro/mech systems, including O2 gen and other systems involving conrrols) controls. There isnt a good trouble shooting guide for this. I have a serial number that should be a post 210. However the parts mat h yhe pre 210 parts.... My next step would be to replace the valve, but I dont want to do that if ai don't need too....
It is probably the wall switch or the 3 volt transformer plug. It could also be the control module but I would check the wall switch first.
The troubleshooting guide that I attached is for IPI Plus but most of the information is the same for IPI.

Attachments

• IPIPlus_TroubleshootingGuide.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 325
Reactions: TNT
I have the same fireplace with very similar issues. Infrequently, the fireplace would turn on for several minutes and then completely shut off. The majority of the time it would turn on for about 2 seconds and the flame would die out. Replaced the Dexen module since I couldn't get an adequate voltage to keep the pilot fire on and thought it was the issue, but this didn't fix the issue. Went to replace the pilot assembly next since the resistance on the sensor rod was slightly high on the multimeter but no improvement. Followed Lennox65's recs and tested the wall switch and discovered it was the issue. Replaced the wall switch and now it works.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Reactions: Lennox65 and 49er