Heat n Glo North Star in Cold Temps-HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdubs45

Sep 24, 2013
Central Illinois
I have a Northstar ZC fireplace and have been fairly happy with it. My main issue is that during installation the contractor didn't put any sort of barrier from the stove to the attic. So above my stove is open to the attic and then the roof. So when we get snow there is enough heat loss to melt the snow on my roof above my stove. (15 feet or so)

When the temps are in the mid 20's and 30's the stove is fine and I get good heat out of it, but when it gets much colder than that the output of heat diminishes because it is surrounded by colder attic air. How much of a difference would it make to have something separating the attic air and the stove?

I was thinking Dura rock, or a welding blanket with insulations on top of it since it isn't real easy to get to.

thanks for your thoughts

You are correct. There should have been a framed firestop in place at the 1st floor ceiling level. This should have been done when it was installed. On top of the firestop there should be an attic insulation shield around the pipe. Then you can insulate up to the shield.

Have a certified CSIA sweep check it out and get an estimate for framing in a firestop and attic insulation shield.

I have a Northstar ZC fireplace and have been fairly happy with it. My main issue is that during installation the contractor didn't put any sort of barrier from the stove to the attic. So above my stove is open to the attic and then the roof. So when we get snow there is enough heat loss to melt the snow on my roof above my stove. (15 feet or so)

When the temps are in the mid 20's and 30's the stove is fine and I get good heat out of it, but when it gets much colder than that the output of heat diminishes because it is surrounded by colder attic air. How much of a difference would it make to have something separating the attic air and the stove?

I was thinking Dura rock, or a welding blanket with insulations on top of it since it isn't real easy to get to.

thanks for your thoughts

What is the setup? I have a North Star and it does not fluctuate in heat output with outside temps, it might seem like its not putting out as much when it's colder, but rest assured, it does. Mine will heat my 2400sqft 28' ceiling home down to about 15f without issue, below that, it loses the battle and I have to supplment wi the propane furnace. Is your flue in a chase, thru a 1st floor, 2nd floor? There should be a fire stop, as others have mentioned, at any "floor" level whether your flue is in a chase or thru living space or attics to the outside. The biggest thing with the north star type is if they properly vented the outer part of the chimney with the cak kit, which most "installers" don't seem to.

It should look something like this if you happen to see the top of the ZC unit before it was enclosed:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.snyderworld.org%2Fphotos%2Fmain.php%2Fd%2F27870-2%2FIMG_9798.jpg

That little round part off the back you see should be connected to something that may resemble a dryer vent somewhere outside, which is the most tell tale sign you have the cak kit installed. Don't confuse it with the oak, or outside air kit, the oak vent will look like a giant dryer vent and is all metal, this should look, it actually comes with a thing that is the size of a dryer vent, white plastic. If you don't see it somewhere outside, they didn't install it properly.

Last edited by a moderator: