Heat N Glo's Remote Thermostat no longer working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

escavetta

Mar 15, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Hi,

I have a 10-year old Heat N Glo SL-550TRS-C with a remote wall t-stat that is used as the only heating source in my unit here in Northern California. I turned off the gas during the hot season, and when I re-lit it, the thermostat no longer turns on/off the flame and I need to manually adjust the gas valve to get heat. The T-stat still makes the clicking sound so I assume that it is still allowing current through it (I may be wrong).

I've checked that the electrical contacts on the valve are still attached. Is there anything else that I should be checking? Attached is a photo of the valve assembly & T-stat for reference.

If I need a professional, should I be seeking an electrician or a furnace servicer?

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 427
Take the wires off the t-stat & touch the ends together.
If the unit comes on, the t-stat is either bad, or the contacts
on the t-stat need to be sprayed & cleaned.
Let us know how you make out.

Help would be from furnace servicer and is low voltage. Millivolt.

Take the wires off the t-stat & touch the ends together.
If the unit comes on, the t-stat is either bad, or the contacts
on the t-stat need to be sprayed & cleaned.
Let us know how you make out.

Thank you! I tried doing this with some copper wire between the two contacts, but nothing happened. The issue is actually that the gas will not turn off when the t-stat clicks off. Maybe I have a short circuit... I'll keep trying and let you know if I get anywhere.

Thanks!

Have you tried taking the leads off the the stoves valve? If that does not shut the stove down then the valve has issues.

Hmmm. Have you tried the tech rocker switch located between the piezo igniter & the blower rheostat?
Does that turn the unit on AND off?

Have you tried taking the leads off the the stoves valve? If that does not shut the stove down then the valve has issues.

Thanks. Removing the leads from the stove valve does turn it off. When the leads are connected though, the t-stat will not turn it off in any position, even though it clicks when passing the set point...

Hmmm. Have you tried the tech rocker switch located between the piezo igniter & the blower rheostat?
Does that turn the unit on AND off?

Thanks. I tried that, with the valve on, the leads attached, and the t-stat in the "on" position above the click point. The rocker switch has no effect....

Sounds like a short in the wire to your remote controller or to the rocker switch if the stove shuts down when you disconnect the wires on the stoves control valve.
The good news the repair is getting cheaper.

Remove the wires from the valve & the t-stat. Remove the t-stat from the wall.
Bring the t-stat near the unit & hook up two NEW short wires between the two.
See if the t-stat actuates the unit. If not, replace the t-stat.
If it does work, the original wiring is compromised...

Remove the wires from the valve & the t-stat. Remove the t-stat from the wall.
Bring the t-stat near the unit & hook up two NEW short wires between the two.
See if the t-stat actuates the unit. If not, replace the t-stat.
If it does work, the original wiring is compromised...

Thanks again for the new tips! I tried this. I removed the t-stat from the wall. Now the rocker switch does operate the flame on and off. (Good sign, right?)

When I connect the two remote wires coming off the valve assembly directly to the t-stat, there is no effect with adjusting the t-stat control (It is on no matter if the t-stat is "on" or "off"). If the t-stat is faulty, wouldn't the flame go out? (See new attached photo #1)

When I touch the two wires together from the valve, the flame stays on as well. (See new attached Photo #2)

Should I try getting a new t-stat; or would this be an electrical problem in the valve assembly?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 368
Status
Not open for further replies.