Heat N Glow North Star Wood Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the condition of your firebrick on the floor of the unit? The blower cavity shouldn't be getting warm enough to damage the blowers...

Funny you should mention that - I've got a northstar that I'm having lots of trouble with the blowers on. I barely get any air, they're really loud, and I get a sympathetic, metallic rattle when the stove is heating up or cooling down. I've got a guy coming out on Feb 10th to deal with it, but if you figure something out, drop a line!

The fire bricks are in fine working order. I also keep the area under the fire floor clean. I'm having a blower place put steel blower wheels on my blower fan. Hope that fixes it.
David: The metallic sound is that the blower housing is hitting the steel pale that is needed to direct the air up and around your fire place. I had the same problem and I bent the steel plate back enough for the fans. I think that this plate expands when it gets hot.

I find the bearings in these fans go out. I replaced the bearings in mine off-season, I took them apart, measured the bearings and ordered replacements from McMaster Carr. $15 IIRC. Far better than buying a whole new fan assembly from Hearth &Home, if you unit is out of warranty. I've never had an issue with melting blades. Just noisy, from bad bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.