heat output in different outside temps.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
ok, I am not understanding this. If the temp outside is 35, your stove heat output is lets say 220. You change nothing with the stove, but the outside temp is now 20 degrees and your heat output is now 180. What am I missing here. Why such a drop in the stoves performance?

I don't have a temp guage on my stove but I do know that each 10* makes a whole lot of difference. When it's windy that's a whole other consideration. It got up in the 30s today and with stove set on 1, I came home and it was 78* inside. Yesterday when it was in the 20s, I came home with stove set on 1, it was 66* inside. Teens and single digits I have to crank the stove up to 2 or 3 to maintain 68* inside. Learning curve.

One of the things I noticed that I do not understand. My pellet consumption changes from day to day when I make NO changes to the stove what so ever........I do think the outside temp has something to do with it though. Is there possible a sensor of some sort telling the stove to work harder???

Very simple answer.

First of all, the temp of the air leaving a pellet stove does not directly relate to it's performance. There are too many other factors involved - how fast the air is moving through, the radiant heat, etc.

But in a relative fashion...as you say...the output temp will lower when the heat load is greater....because the output temp is a certain number of degrees above the input temperature. In colder weather the stove is drawing in colder air to the blowers, and therefore colder air is coming out the top also. In general terms, if the input air is 50, then the output might be 150, but if the input is 70, it might be 170 or 180.

My pellet stove, in an unheated shop, probably blows out 110 degree air because the input temp is very low.

I understand the room temp drops with the outside temp drop, just don't understand the drop in the heat output of the stove.

It is NOT the heat output of the stove which drops...it is only the perceived heat output. In other words, the same heat or even more does less. That is called "heat load". Yes, you would burn more pellets and perhaps heat a smaller area even so.

Webmaster said:
It is NOT the heat output of the stove which drops...it is only the perceived heat output. In other words, the same heat or even more does less. That is called "heat load". Yes, you would burn more pellets and perhaps heat a smaller area even so.

OK. That makes sense. Thanks for the explaination

So if sucking in cold air from outside causes your stove to blow out colder air, could I unhook the outside air and have it draw its air from inside? Sucking warmer air should create warmer air being blown out, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.