Heat redirect for a stove with a blower fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OceanWarming

Jan 28, 2019
Yukon
I looked around on the internet for some example of someone else having already designed a gadget that can redirect the forced air coming out of the top of my pellet stove.

Why would I want to do this???

Because the stove is located in a small living room and in order to save space and to allow me to have furniture in the room, I had the stove installed in a corner by a professional installer. The install was done very professionally and cost me more than $1,000. My home insurance person was very impressed when they came and did an inspection.

Because the stove was put in the corner, it faces towards a bathroom door that opens into the living room. When I run the stove the living room and the bathroom become exceedingly hot and the other rooms on the first floor, the dining room and the kitchen, don't get heated very well at all because the air that is blowing out the top of the stovetop vents, blows in the opposite direction of the doorway into the dining and kitchen area.

I installed a couple of doorway vent fans in the dining room but it really didn't make any difference at all, because the stove is blowing hot air in the opposite direction.

Instead, I experimented by putting some 3 foot aluminum angle iron into the top stove Vents and low and behold I was able to redirect the air in the opposite direction from the vent holes towards the dining room and it heated the entire first floor including the most distant room, the kitchen.

The 3-foot angle iron was very effective but it looked ridiculous. So then I went to the hardware store and bought some aluminum downspout connections and was able to fashion something much smaller and a little more pleasing to the eye.

The stove is a Pelpro ppc90.

Has anyone else ever experimented with this and come up with something that looks professional and elegant looking?

I don't think Hearth Technologies, who owns The PelPro brand and about 30 other stove Brands, has ever thought about this problem.

It seems like a simple fabrication solution could solve this for all sorts of stoves end-users that want to redirect the fan blown air in a different direction--- just like the louvers on the dashboard heater vents of your car can redirect the air from your car dashboard heater in different directions within the cab of your car...