Heat Shield Question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
Hello All!

I was wondering if there is a removable "wall" or "shield" that can be placed behind a wood stove so that your clearance can be smaller, providing that the stove does not come with a heat shield. I was thinking of something that I don't have to build, rather just set it behind the stove and not worry.

TIA :)

hey thats my thread....

anyway... i have not found a removable one...however... to build a sheet metal one (metal, cut and bent) will cost me 70-80 bucks for my piece....

i priced stainless steel and it would be around 250 for the same size...

i'm going sheet metal and painted black with ceramic spacers that can be found on www.northlineexpress.com

What kind of stove is it? What are the manufacurer's clearance requirements? How much are you looking to reduced the clearance? What about clearance for the connector pipe? What's the configuration of the planned installation? Why do you want to remove the shield? Rick

I am looking to buy a used stove, and most of them that I do research on are 16" from rear wall, and I don't have builing skills and would like to have it sit closer to the wall :)

if you pay someone to cut, bend the sheet metal, all you need to do is paint it... or pay someone to do that too...

the hanging it part is as simple as drilling a hole in the metal then screwing a screw into the wall stud with spacers...

if you can install the stove then you can do this too...

or if your paying someone to install the stove, they will more than likely do this too...

One caution about making them removable is: What if in two years you are not in that house. Will the new owner know that the shield is a REQUIREMENT, otherwise its not to code. Something to think about.

Some things are lost with time and translation.

Edit:
Oooh, thats almost quote worthy.
< patting self on back >

The first thing you need to do is choose a stove, then find out what the manufacturer's requirements for clearances are. You may not even be able to reduce them with the use of a wall shield. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.