Heat shield question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarridgeranch

Jan 16, 2009
WI
Hello All!
I am new here & have appreciated reading everyone's great advice. Here's my story....We had a Jotul Rockland 550 insert installed into our factory type fireplace. It is a corner fireplace with 45 degree angle walls extending away from it. Due to clearance issues, metal heat shields spaced 1" away from the walls were installed. They are white, and my walls are beige. The unit itself is beautiful, but these heat shields stick out like a sore thumb. I was considering painting them to match the walls, but am wondering if anyone has some creative ideas out there, as to how to make this look better. As it stands, it is like a beautiful cashmere sweater with a big stain on it, know what I mean? And would I need to use Heat resitant paint if I do paint them??
The installer seemed to think that I would not even need them, and may consider taking them down later, but according to the maufacturer, this is the requirement. Being that I have a hot fire in the middle of my house, I am going the safe route.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts on the matter!

There are higher temperature paints but whether they would be a close match for the walls is hard to say. I'd burn the stove for this season and keep track of how warm these panels get. If there is a lot of side radiant heat, then they'll need to stay. But if their surface stays quite cool, then I'd be tempted try it without them, paying close attention to the side wall temps with a good sized fire or two that had been burning for all day.

If the panels do get warm and are required, you might also consider removing them and replacing them with a tiled wall shield. This would give you better design options.

I have the same insert and I don't notice much heat to the sides of the stove, It seems to be warmer above the insert. See how yours burns and you can decide. Tiled walls also seems like a decent option.

I have a 550 too with a heat shield on top of the surround due to mantel clearance req. It is black and isn't that bad. In fact after awhile I don't even notice it.

I agree with Summertime. Most heat goes up and not to the sides but mine does have bricks (about 24") on each side absorbing heat. The surround does heat up and get too hot to touch but the bricks just stay nice and warm.

Like others said, just wait and see how things go.

There are several 550 burners here and a thread specific to it that you might like to read through. I don't know how to post thread numbers but if you do an advanced search for 'Jotul c550 Rockland tips thread' it will come up.

Welcome :coolsmile:

I covered my heat shields with tin ceiling tiles - there are many color and embossing options available. Edges are covered with drywall "J" channel painted black.
Just an option......

Attachments

• WallShield02.JPG
    WallShield02.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 7,554
I have a question about the surround assembly for the C450. I am purchasing the optional mantel heat shield, do I need to move the entire stove to install it? Is is possible to just remove the surround without lifting the entire stove? If so, how do you remove just the surround?
Thank You

On my Jotul 550 I only had to remove the surround and attach one bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.