Heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodfreak666

Feb 3, 2017
Ontario Canada
Is there any advantage to using a heat shield if you have a masonry wall ? 73a541e7b453ec16ece5472eb3955bbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That depends. If it is pure masonry then no advantage. If it is a masonry veneer of full brick on a studded wall that may qualify for a 33% reduction in clearances for an unlisted stove, however it may not for a listed stove unless the manual has such allowance. If it is a thin veneer of brick or cultured stone, then no reduction of clearances and in that case a proper NFPA211 wall shield may be warranted.

Reactions: woodfreak666
I imagine a sheet metal heat shield would reflect some heat. On an all masonry exterior wall wall it might therefore result in a warmer room- though not as warm as if you'd studded out and insulated the wall and then installed the stove to clearances from the new wall. If you have angry undead Scottish stonemasons to contend with, that may not be on the menu.

And of course if you already have an insulated wall like the OP, you're all set. ;)

And of course if you already have an insulated wall like the OP, you're all set. ;)
Clearances still need to be honored. The OP has not made clear what the stove is and how close it is to the wall.

I imagine a sheet metal heat shield would reflect some heat. On an all masonry exterior wall wall it might therefore result in a warmer room- though not as warm as if you'd studded out and insulated the wall and then installed the stove to clearances from the new wall. If you have angry undead Scottish stonemasons to contend with, that may not be on the menu.

Off Topic Reply: I was reading a different thread where Ashful mentioned having a room fill with smoke, and I actually found myself thinking something like this, "This is a perfect opportunity for Jetsam's mentioning the unexorcised spirits of the Scottish stonemasons. They must have felt a little more at home."

I read this site not only for education but also for entertainment.

Now back to heat shields.

Off Topic Reply: I was reading a different thread where Ashful mentioned having a room fill with smoke, and I actually found myself thinking something like this, "This is a perfect opportunity for Jetsam's mentioning the unexorcised spirits of the Scottish stonemasons. They must have felt a little more at home."

I read this site not only for education but also for entertainment.

Now back to heat shields.

I actually didn't want to reply after the original question was answered, but it's hard to keep undeads who can pop through walls from groaning and clanking you into submission. I blame Ashful...