heat to the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcope

Aug 1, 2008
howell mi
I have a pellet burner and a wood insert, I am trying to find a way to get heat to my bacemant. My sons has a apartment in the bacement I thought about getting a through the wall fan and putting it in the first floor of the house and putting a 6ft by 6 in pipe over and under it to gain more heat to the bacement. I found one made by suncourt its a tw 108 does any one else have a better idea?
Thanks jim

3rd stove? Electric space heater? Buy him lots of sweaters for Christmas? (sorry, couldn't resist).

Trying to pump a whole lot of cold air out of the basement to get it heated is going to be hard to do with any efficiency I'll bet.

Gonna be pretty tough. Best to just put some heat in the basement where you want it. Portable electric space heaters get the job done. Rick

3rd stove

if i'm reading it right you are trying to move air down to the basement from a room upstairs right? I don't think you'll have much luck getting heat to move that direction short of some kind of water coil system with an electric pump.

you do not think an a fan in 6 in pipe would push it down?

Unlikely to work very well. You'll get better results with a small, safe heater in the room. Is it insulated there?

I have a stanley fan that blowers down a laundry shoot into an insulated basement, main floor 75, basement 58, it moves a lot of air and does not do the trick, I also run my furnace fan. If I were in your boat I would just put in some electric baseboard heaters. The have the silicone (sp) ones that are more efficient at transfering the heat. I think it heats the silicone and it releases it slower? There was one member...I think it was hogwild that uses the 6 inh fan to a room with poor circulation with success....but I have yet to find a way to make heat go down. If you figure it out pm me cause I would be interested!

Keep in mind how a stove works, which is mostly by radiant heat, which means surfaces are heated, not air. The warmed surfaces then heat the air around them. Blowing air against a heated surface to get heated air really isn't very efficient, and it takes lots of air movement -- therefore the hot air furnace.

Use the stove for what it does best, and find other means to heat the hard to reach places, if you really need to do that.

An electric blanket or mattress pad really takes care of the otherwise cool bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.